Aetna California: Rehab & Detox Centers in CA That Take Aetna Insurance
Known for its sunshine, warmth, and beautiful sprawling beaches, visitors from all over the world flock to California each year to visit its landmarks such as Hollywood, Yosemite National Park, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Home to nearly 40 million people, California’s diverse population is the most urban in the United States, with more than 3/4 of its residents residing in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego.1
Among the stunning landscape of California exists a significant public health issue: over 8% of California residents (2,658,000 people) struggle with substance use disorder (SUD) and over 6% of the population (1,989,000 people) report having alcohol use disorder (AUD).2
Though these numbers are alarming, getting treatment for addiction to drugs and alcohol in California is available to all who need it. Rehab facilities are located throughout the state of California to help people struggling with SUDs get sober and have a successful long-term recovery free of drug and alcohol abuse.
If you live in California and Aetna California is your health insurance provider, your insurance plan should cover at least some of the costs of addiction treatment, including detox treatment, inpatient or outpatient rehab, or more long-term residential treatment programs.
How to Check My Aetna Coverage for Rehab in California
Finding a treatment facility can feel overwhelming but knowing in advance what your Aetna insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage, contact one of our admissions navigators at , click here, or fill out the form below.
What Is Aetna California?
Since it was founded in 1853, Aetna has been committed to providing individuals, employers, and healthcare professionals with innovative benefits, products, and services.3 An estimated 39 million Aetna members have a wide range of insurance plans, programs and services, and tools and information to help them make better-informed decisions related to their health care.4
Today, Aetna is a subsidiary of CVS Health. The combined company is committed to building a community-based, open health care model that helps members simplify their healthcare experience to improve their health.5
Aetna’s health insurance plans include:4
- Medical, pharmacy, and dental plans.
- Medicare plans.
- Medicaid services.
- Behavioral health services and programs.
- Medical management.
Read on to learn more about how your Aetna California health insurance plan may help you pay for the costs of addiction treatment.
Does Aetna Cover Rehab Treatment in California?
Yes, Aetna does provide at least partial coverage for inpatient and outpatient rehab as well as other substance abuse treatments.5 Exactly how much is covered depends on the specific Aetna plan you have.
As an Aetna member, you have many options for accessing treatment. Though your health insurance provider may not be the first place you consider calling when it comes to accessing addiction treatment, Aetna is there to help members access the treatments they need to get on the path to recovery.
Start by calling the number on the back of your insurance card/member ID and speak with a customer service representative. They can link you to rehab facilities, help you come up with care plan goals, or assign an Aetna Care Advocate to you who can support you and follow your progress as you go through rehab.6
If you’d rather find a rehab facility on your own, there are many facilities in California. American Addiction Centers’ Laguna Treatment Hospital, located in Orange County, is a nearby substance use disorder rehab facility that may accept Aetna California insurance. Laguna Treatment Hospital provides high-quality addiction treatment and personalized care in a supportive and secure environment.
While coverage varies depending on the specific Aetna plan you have, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) ensures that SUD treatments are at least partially covered by all health insurance providers in the U.S., so you can have peace of mind knowing that at least some of the costs of your treatment(s) will be covered by your plan.7
What Substance Addiction Does Rehab Treatment Cover?
No matter what substance(s) you are misusing and/or addicted to, there are addiction treatment centers in California and surrounding states that can help you.
Your Aetna California health insurance policy may be able to help cover some, if not all, of the costs of your treatment for addiction to many substances, including:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
Call the number on the back of your Aetna insurance card to speak to a customer service representative who can walk you through the details of your plan and discuss potential treatment options.
What Rehab Programs Does Aetna California Cover?
Aetna California provides at least partial coverage for many treatments for substance use disorders. You may want to consider several factors before choosing a rehab program, such as the substance you are using and how long you’ve been using them, whether you want to live at home or at the rehab facility, and whether you have other mental health conditions that also need treatment.
Addiction treatments that Aetna may cover include:9
- Medication-assisted detoxification: If you have a physical dependency on drugs and/or alcohol, detoxification programs can help you safely withdraw from these substances. This is typically the first step in the journey to recovery.
- Inpatient/residential rehab: Also known as residential treatment programs, inpatient rehab programs provide 24/7 supervision and peer support while you work on your recovery. Medical and psychiatric conditions along with SUD may be addressed in these programs.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs): These programs are held during the daytime for anywhere from 4-8 hours, and you can go home at night. PHP programs can help you work through any stressors/triggers you are experiencing at home while providing a supportive environment during the daytime to help you cope and stay sober.
- Outpatient treatment: Outpatient programs vary in terms of their time commitment, but all allow you to live at home while attending treatment in the evening, for approximately 10-12 hours per week. These programs are often the next step in treatment after completing an inpatient program.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP): These programs meet 3-5 times per week for several hours at a time in the evening. You can attend to work and family responsibilities during the daytime hours and get the support you need in the evening from peers and professionals while in an IOP program.
Does Aetna in CA Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, Aetna California should cover some, if not all, mental health and dual diagnosis treatment as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).8
About half of people with SUDs also have a co-occurring mental health condition such as anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, bipolar disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). 10 This is known as a “dual diagnosis”. Although mental health conditions do not cause SUD and vice versa, people with mental illness are twice as likely to use drugs and alcohol to self-medicate and reduce their symptoms.11
If you have a dual diagnosis, look for rehab centers that treat both conditions. Many rehab facilities in California offer dual diagnosis treatments, offering comprehensive, integrated care to address and treat all of your mental health struggles.
Aetna California provides coverage for some, if not all, of the costs of treatment both mental health and substance use disorder. The amount of coverage provided depends on your specific plan.
Which Rehab Centers in California Take Aetna Insurance?
Aetna California has a wide network of rehab centers and addiction treatment programs that have been carefully screened for quality of care, adherence to modern principles of treatment, and thorough follow-up and support. These programs are “in-network” with Aetna and are typically more affordable since these rehab centers have an agreement with Aetna to provide addiction treatment.
Programs that are not in Aetna’s network can be more expensive and may not be covered by Aetna, which means you will have more out-of-pocket expenses. It’s best to choose an in-network addiction treatment provider, if possible.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. The following AAC facilities are in-network with Aetna California:
- AdCare Rhode Island: Get the best care in a supportive environment at this Rhode Island-based rehab center. High-quality, evidence-based care is provided for each individual who walks through our doors.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Greenhouse Treatment Center offers a wide variety of addiction treatment programs and plans. This facility works with individuals with a dual diagnosis in Dallas, Texas.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Stay local in California at this Orange County-based facility. Access high-quality addiction treatment and care in a supportive environment that addresses all of your needs.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Escape the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life in this Etta, Mississippi, rehab center, where you’ll access evidence-based, comprehensive drug and alcohol addiction treatments.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: With advanced accreditations, this Riverview, Florida, rehab center provides the highest level of care for individuals struggling with addiction and other mental health conditions.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette, New Jersey, this premier addiction center provides a comprehensive continuum of care and individualized treatment plans.
For more AAC rehab facilities that accept Aetna, there are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs.
- Britannica. (n.d.). California.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2017). Behavioral Health Barometer California, Volume 5.
- Aetna. (n.d.). About Us.
- Aetna. (n.d.). Aetna Facts.
- Aetna. (n.d.). Our History.
- Aetna. (n.d.). Your Behavioral Health Benefits.
- Aetna. (n.d.). If you’re struggling with drugs or alcohol, Aetna can help.
- Healthcare.gov. (n.d.). Mental Health and Substance Abuse Coverage.
- Aetna. (n.d.). Drug and Alcohol Treatment.
- National Institute of Mental Health. (n.d.). Substance Use and Co-Occurring Mental Health Disorders.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. (n.d.). Understanding Dual Diagnosis.