Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi: Rehabs & Detox Centers in MS That Take BCBS
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of Mississippi provides health insurance coverage to residents throughout the state. If you’re a BCBS of Mississippi member and are struggling with substance use, your insurance may provide coverage for some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment. This page will help you understand the types of addiction treatment that may be covered by your BCBS of Mississippi insurance.
Mississippi is known for bluegrass music, magnolias, and Southern Charm. But like the rest of the U.S., Mississippi is impacted by the opioid epidemic. In 2018, nearly 77% of the state’s prescriptions were for opioids, among the highest in the country. The same year, there were 310 overdose-related deaths in Mississippi. Of those deaths, 60% involved opioids.1
If you’re a BCBS of Mississippi member seeking addiction treatment, you’re taking a courageous and important step on your journey to recovery. Depending on your BCBS of Mississippi plan, the cost of addiction treatment (e.g., medical detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment) may be partially, if not fully, covered.
What Is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi offers affordable, high-quality health insurance plans to individuals and families throughout the state. BCBS of Mississippi is one of 35 independently and locally operated Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) companies.2 The health benefits members receive from BCBS of Mississippi are focused on ensuring evidence-based care whether they need a regular doctor’s appointment or specialty care.3
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, although coverage may vary depending on your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi plan.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) went into law in 2010 and requires all long-term health insurance plans to cover 10 essential benefits, one of which is substance use disorder (SUD) services such as counseling, psychotherapy, and rehab.4
The coverage you’ll receive depends on your specific BCBS of Mississippi plan and what your doctor deems medically necessary for your situation. However, you can rely on your BCBS of Mississippi plan to cover at least some of the cost of SUD treatment.4
As you review your treatment options, you’ll want to make sure you choose a program that’s part of the BCBS of Mississippi provider network. Many health insurance plans don’t provide coverage outside of their provider networks.5 Your insurance plan will have a provider network that allows you to avoid unreasonable delays in care, but you may have to pay the full cost if you choose an out-of-network drug treatment program.5
If you have questions about your plan, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a BCBS of Mississippi representative.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is proud to be part of the provider network for BCBS of Mississippi, and we have a variety of treatment centers that you can access using that health insurance coverage. If you have questions, our admissions navigators are available for you at any time at to discuss addiction treatment options and help you start the admissions process when you’re ready.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi May Cover
Coverage for detox, rehab, and other types of addiction treatment will vary depending on your specific Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi insurance plan. Still, your insurance plan should provide at least some coverage for substance use, including alcohol, marijuana, or opioids.
BCBS of Mississippi may cover several types of addiction treatment, including:6,7
- Medical detox: Medical detox can help you avoid significant side effects as your body rids the drugs in your system. Professionals can help you comfortably and safely manage your withdrawal symptoms and prepare for ongoing addiction treatment such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient treatment programs: Inpatient programs allow you to live at the facility 24/7 for several weeks or months. You’ll process emotions, learn new habits, and practice living life without substances. This can be a good option if you want around-the-clock care.
- Outpatient programs: If you need to attend to family, school, or work during treatment, you may benefit from an outpatient program. You can live at home and attend treatment several hours per week. Many times outpatient programs follow inpatient treatment as a step-down.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): For those who can live at home but need more intensive care than a traditional outpatient program, there are intensive outpatient programs. An IOP allows you to stay at home overnight while having several hours of treatment throughout the week.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): Partial hospitalization programs are a good option for those who need full-time care but can return home at night. You’ll attend treatment up to at least five days a week for several hours each day.
- Aftercare: Aftercare helps ensure that the changes you made in treatment last over the long term. This part of your program will give you the support you need to maintain your new habits and substance-free lifestyle.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, although coverage may vary depending on your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi plan.
Having a mental health disorder (e.g., anxiety, depression) and substance use disorder is incredibly common. In fact, it happens to about 50% of patients.8
Having both mental health and substance issues at the same time is known as a dual diagnosis or comorbidity. If you have both a mental health disorder and substance use disorder, it’s important to get treatment for both. Integrated treatment has been shown to be more effective than treating each issue separately.9
The Affordable Care Act includes both mental health and substance use disorder treatment as essential benefits.10 Coverage is required even if the conditions are preexisting, and the plan cannot set a spending limit on medically necessary care.10 This means that as a BCBS of Mississippi member, your plan will cover at least some of the cost for dual diagnosis treatment in an accepted rehab program.
How to Check Your Blue Shield of Mississippi Coverage for Rehab
Finding an addiction treatment centers in Mississippi can feel overwhelming but knowing in advance what your BCBS of Mississippi insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage in Mississippi or out of state, contact an admissions navigator at , or fill out the form below.
Which Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi members have access to a large network of healthcare providers in Mississippi and beyond, including providers who offer treatment for substance use disorders.
If you have a BCBS of Mississippi insurance plan, the following facilities are in-network and may be partially or fully covered:
- Adcare Rhode Island: AdCare Rhode Island offers a range of addiction treatments, such as inpatient and outpatient programs. These facilities also provide programs for those with a dual diagnosis.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in a residential area of Las Vegas, Desert Hope offers a variety of addiction treatments including dual diagnosis treatment, an intensive outpatient program, a partial hospitalization program, and medical detox. There is also a specific program for veterans that helps address the unique needs of military experience.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: The Greenhouse Treatment Centers are located in Arlington and Dallas. These facilities offer a specialized LGBTQ program and have both residential and outpatient options. Enjoy a variety of amenities as you start your recovery journey.
- Laguna Treatment Center: This treatment center is in sunny Southern California and offers medical detox, residential inpatient care, and aftercare. You can get treatment for co-occurring disorders while enjoying a comfortable, scenic living environment.
- Oxford Treatment Center: If you prefer to stay in Mississippi, Oxford Treatment Center is available in Etta. This remote lakeside facility features an equestrian center and invites you to stay in large cabins as you move forward with a substance-free life.
- River Oaks Treatment Center. River Oaks is located near Tampa, Florida. The center specializes in dual diagnosis and offers a holistic approach to treatment that addresses physical, psychological, and spiritual recovery. There are three levels of inpatient and outpatient care available.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center. Many of those struggling with addiction do well in a natural, tranquil setting, and Sunrise House Treatment Center offers just that. Located in the Northern New Jersey mountains, you’ll have 22 acres of space to recover in a residential, intensive outpatient, or outpatient program.
Deciding to seek help for substance use is brave, and you deserve all the support you can get. American Addiction Centers is committed to helping break the cycle of addiction. If you have questions about addiction treatment or what your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mississippi insurance plan covers, you can contact us at to speak to an admissions navigator.