Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas: Rehabs & Detox Centers in TX That Take BCBS
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) provides health insurance coverage to individuals and families throughout the Lone Star State. If you have BCBSTX and are struggling with substance use, your insurance may cover some, if not all, of the cost of rehab. This page will help you better understand the types of addiction treatment that may be available to you.
If you’re a Texas resident struggling with substance use, you are not alone. In 2019, nearly 5% of adults in Texas reported a past-year alcohol use disorder while more than 2% reported a past-year illicit drug use disorder.1 Meanwhile, drug overdose deaths in Texas increased to 14.3 per 100,000 in 2020 from 9.5 per 100,000 in 2015.
Seeking help for drug or alcohol use is an important step on your journey to recovery. The cost of rehab can be a barrier for many in getting the care they need, but there are several ways to pay for rehab. With your BCBSTX plan, you may be able to receive full or partial coverage for addiction treatment in Texas.
What Is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas is one of 35 independent and locally-owned licensees of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) that provides health insurance to millions of Americans.2 Across all of the independent companies, the Blue Cross Blue Shield parent company provides 1 in 3 Americans with health coverage.2 BCBSTX is a statewide customer-owned company that has provided health coverage to Texans for more than 90 years.3
BCBSTX provides different types of health care plans, including individual and family plans, and Medicaid and Medicare plans.4 The company’s mission is to provide financially sound coverage to as many Texans as possible. With a network of nearly 80,000 physicians and practitioners and 500 hospitals, BCBSTX is the largest and most experienced health care coverage organization in the state.
BCBS is committed to improving the affordability and quality of all types of care, including mental health.5 To recognize facilities and providers that match the same commitment to affordable, quality care, BCBS created the Blue Distinction list.6 Blue Distinction Centers for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery also takes BCBSTX. Therefore, if you have BCBSTX and attend a named facility, you may be able to receive your rehab treatment at little to no cost to you.7
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas Cover Rehab Treatment?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA), the federal health care reform law, requires a set of 10 essential health benefits (EHBs) to be covered in some capacity by almost all health plans.8 Behavioral and mental health services are considered to be 1 of the 10 EHBs.9
This means that your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas plan must provide some type of coverage for treatment for substance use disorder (e.g., rehab), inpatient treatment for mental and behavioral health disorders, and treatment for behavioral health disorders.9
Although coverage in some capacity is required, this does not mean or guarantee that all treatments will be fully or partially covered under your specific plan. BCBSTX has a portfolio of resources for members to gain access to behavioral health services.10 The level of coverage may vary based on your plan design, but BCBSTX may cover the following services:10
- Community-based alcohol or drug treatments
- Community-based behavioral health services
- Inpatient or residential rehab
- Outpatient rehab
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs)
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs)
Unless it’s an emergency, it’s always best to check with a BCBSTX representative to find out what exactly is covered under your plan before obtaining care.
American Addiction Centers is here to help too. You can call to speak with an admissions navigator. We can answer your questions about addiction treatment, verify your insurance, and provide information about what you can expect while in rehab.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas May Cover
What your specific Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas plan may cover will vary depending on your plan’s design, the facility at which you receive care, and other factors. Still, per the ACA, your BCBSTX plan may be able to help you cover the costs of treatment for substance use disorders related to alcohol, marijuana, opioids, and more.
Addiction treatments that may be covered by your BCBSTX plan include:11,12
- Medical detox: Under the supervision of medical professionals, medical detox helps ease the withdrawal process so you can prepare for the next phase of treatment, such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient rehab: Inpatient programs, which are those that involve an overnight stay, will have a patient receiving care in a facility for a few days, weeks, or months.
- Outpatient rehab: Available to patients who don’t require intensive or overnight stays, outpatient programs involve a patient visiting a facility once or twice a week to receive their care.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): With an IOP, patients must attend their outpatient programs for a minimum number of hours each week, but no overnight stay is required.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): With a PHP, patients typically attend a facility 4 to 8 hours per day a few days a week and return home at the end of the day.
- Aftercare: After a patient completes their initial rehab treatment program, they typically transition to aftercare programs, which are any type of follow-up or ongoing care after rehab is completed.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Due to the ACA’s mandate, your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas health plan should cover mental health and dual diagnosis treatment at some level.9 Depending on your plan, you may receive full or partial coverage for your treatment costs, regardless of whether you receive treatment for a mental health condition, a substance use disorder, or a dual diagnosis.
A dual diagnosis (or co-occurring disorder) is when a patient experiences a mental health and substance use disorder at the same time.13 According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), approximately 9.2 million Americans have a dual diagnosis. If you have a dual diagnosis, you will likely be treated for both concurrently, as many experts agree that treating both disorders together is the most effective treatment path.14
How to Check Your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas Coverage for Rehab
Finding a drug or alcohol treatment facility can feel overwhelming, but knowing in advance what your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. Fortunately, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage in Texas or out of state, contact an admissions navigator at , or fill out the form below to verify your insurance.
Which Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas has a network of nearly 80,000 physicians and practitioners and 500 hospitals, which means there are likely several rehab centers that will take your plan.5 American Addiction Centers is also an in-network provider with BCBSTX. This means that your BCBSTX plan may fully or partially cover treatment at an American Addiction Centers facility, including:
- AdCare Rhode Island: This Rhode Island AAC treatment facility has 4 locations, one of which is an inpatient facility (North Kingstown). The Warwick, South Kingstown, and Greenville locations are all outpatient locations.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: The upscale Desert Hope Treatment center in Nevada is well-known for its specialized veterans and first responder rehab program.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: This Texas AAC location can provide a variety of addiction treatments, including medical detox, inpatient, and residential treatment, PHP, IOP, telehealth, and outpatient therapy services.
- Laguna Treatment Center: This California treatment facility, which is located near the famous Laguna Beach, can provide medical detox and inpatient and residential addiction treatments.
- Oxford Treatment Center: This Mississippi location is set in a natural environment and can provide medical detox, inpatient and residential treatment, PHP, IOP, telehealth, and outpatient therapy services to patients.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: This Florida location specializes in providing medical detox, inpatient and residential treatment, PHP, IOP, telehealth, and outpatient therapy services.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: This New Jersey location is a premier facility specializing in providing medical detox and inpatient and residential treatment.
Deciding to seek treatment for substance use is courageous, and you deserve all the support you can get on your journey to recovery. American Addiction Centers is committed to helping individuals break the cycle of addiction. If you have questions about addiction treatment or want to know what your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas insurance covers, contact us at today. Our admissions navigators are available around the clock to offer support, provide resources, and assist you with the admissions process when you’re ready.