Blue Cross Blue Shield of California: Rehabs & Detox Centers in CA That Take BCBS
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is a nationwide health insurance provider in the United States. In California, BCBS is branded as Blue Shield of California and provides healthcare coverage for individuals living in the state. Depending on your insurance plan, Blue Shield of California may cover at least some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment, including medical detox, inpatient rehab, and outpatient rehab. This page will help you understand the types of drug or alcohol addiction treatment that may be covered by your Blue Shield of California insurance plan.
California is home to some of the most populous cities in the U.S., including Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Jose. These densely-populated areas create an atmosphere of easy drug access and use. In 2018, approximately 8% of Californians—nearly 3 million people—met the criteria for having a past-year substance use disorder (SUD).1 Unfortunately, only 10% of Californians with an SUD received treatment that year.1
For many people, getting help for addiction can feel challenging, partially due to the cost of treatment. The good news is, there are several ways to pay for rehab. As a member of Blue Shield of California, you have access to behavioral health benefits, which assist people with a range of mental health and substance use disorders.2 This means you can use your insurance plan to cover at least some, if not all, of the cost of detox and rehab.
What Is Blue Shield of California?
Blue Shield of California offers quality health plans for residents of the Golden State.3 Founded in San Francisco in 1939, today Blue Shield of California has 22 locations and 4.5 million members.4
Blue Shield of California is one of 35 independently and locally operated Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) companies.5 The company believes Californians deserve access to affordable, high-quality healthcare, which is why they work to offer access to one of the large provider networks in the state along with comprehensive benefits.
Does Blue Shield of California Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, although coverage may vary depending on your Blue Shield of California plan. Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all marketplace insurance plans must provide 10 essential health benefits, one of which is treatment for substance use disorder (SUD).6
Because SUD treatment is included, this means your Blue Shield of California insurance plan will provide coverage in some capacity. It’s a good idea to select a treatment center that is part of the Blue Shield of California provider network so you can get the most coverage. If you have questions about your coverage, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a representative.
You can also contact American Addiction Centers (AAC) at . AAC is proud to be in the Blue Shield of California network and can verify your insurance online or over the phone and provide answers to questions you may have about addiction treatment.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Blue Shield of California May Cover
Blue Shield of California has individual, family, and Medicare plans which means coverage will vary.7 Still, your insurance plan should cover at least some of the cost of rehab for drug or alcohol use.
Blue Shield of California may cover several types of addiction treatment, including:8,9
- Medical detox: Some patients’ continuum of care includes medical detox, although this is not always necessary. Medical detox helps rid the body of substances and allows you to withdraw from substances comfortably and safely.
- Inpatient rehab programs: Inpatient programs can be a good option for patients who need around-the-clock care. You live in a facility for weeks or months while receiving different types of therapy (e.g., group, individual).
- Outpatient rehab programs: Outpatient programs allow you to live at home and attend treatment several hours per week. This can be a good option if you have family, school, or work responsibilities while in treatment. In many cases, outpatient programs follow inpatient treatment.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): During an IOP, you will attend therapy sessions several hours a day, several days a week with sessions conducted by a licensed therapist.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): During a PHP, you will stay in a hospital environment for much of the day but return home at night.
- Aftercare: Once you complete an inpatient or outpatient program, aftercare gives you the support you need to maintain sobriety.
Your Blue Shield of California plan will determine the level of coverage you’ll receive for addiction treatment. Although you may be responsible for paying certain out-of-pocket expenses like copays and deductibles, you can take solace in knowing that your insurance plan will provide partial, if not full coverage for addiction to substances such as alcohol, heroin, and prescription drugs.
Does Blue Shield of California Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, although coverage may vary depending on your Blue Shield of California insurance plan. The ACA mandates that providers cover both mental health disorders and substance use disorders (SUD).7
Co-occurring disorders are common in people with SUD.10 In fact, about half of people with SUD also have a mental health disorder.10 If you are dealing with a dual diagnosis, you can seek treatment for both conditions together.10
How To Check Your Blue Shield of California Coverage for Rehab
Finding a treatment facility can feel overwhelming, but knowing in advance what your Blue Shield of California insurance plan will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is that checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage for rehab in California or out of state, contact an admissions navigator at , or fill out the form below.
Which Rehab Centers Take Blue Shield of California?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has rehab facilities around the U.S. that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Shield of California insurance plan, these AAC facilities are in-network with BCBS and may be partially or fully covered:
- AdCare Rhode Island: With 4 locations throughout the state, AdCare Rhode Island offers a range of addiction treatments, including medical detox, inpatient and outpatient therapy, dual diagnosis, IOP, PHP, and telehealth treatment.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Desert Hope offers high-quality, individualized programs in a residential area of Las Vegas. Treatment available includes co-occurring disorder treatment programs, a Veteran and First Responder substance abuse program, and more.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: This Grand Prairie, Texas location provides medical detox, inpatient and outpatient therapy, IOP, PHP, and telehealth treatment.
- Laguna Treatment Center: Located in sunny California, Laguna Treatment Centers offers medical detox and inpatient and residential addiction treatments.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in a lovely outdoor setting in Etta, Mississippi, the Oxford Treatment Center offers residential and medical detox treatment to aid in recovery from addiction.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located near Miami, Florida, River Oaks Treatment Center offers residential treatment through aftercare support.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: The Sunrise House offers a comfortable place to begin your treatment journey. With specialties in IOP, cognitive behavioral therapy, and family therapy, this lovely residential treatment center is located in N.J.
American Addiction Centers is committed to helping individuals struggling with drug or alcohol use break the cycle of addiction. If you have questions about addiction treatment or want to know what your Blue Shield of California insurance plan covers, you can contact us at to speak to an admissions navigator. Our compassionate team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your questions, provide resources, and help you with the admissions process once you’re ready.