Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island: Rehabs & Detox Centers in RI That Take BCBS
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) provides health insurance coverage to individuals and families throughout the state. If you’re a BCBSRI member and are seeking help for drug or alcohol use, your insurance plan may cover some, if not all, of the cost of rehab. This page will help you understand the types of addiction treatment that may be covered, including detox, inpatient and outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment.
Illicit drug use and overdoses are once again on the rise in Rhode Island. After several years of declines, 2020 showed a significant increase in overdose deaths, with 72% of these deaths attributed to illicit drug use.1 Providence County had the largest number of overdose deaths, with nearly 52 per 100,000 residents.1
If you’re a BCBSRI member seeking help for drug or alcohol use, you’re taking an important step on your journey to recovery. Depending on your plan, the cost of addiction treatment may be partially, if not fully covered.
What Is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island?
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is an association of 35 independent and locally run BCBS companies that operate in all 50 states.2 The Rhode Island company is called Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI).
BCBSRI began operations in 1939 as the Hospital Services Corporation of Rhode Island. By 1945, they covered more than 50% of Rhode Island’s population. They began to offer major medical coverage in 1962 and became BCBSRI in 1982. Today, the company focuses on enhancing the health and well-being of Rhode Island residents.3
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all long-term health insurance plans must cover 10 essential health benefits.4 One of those benefits is treatment for substance use disorder.4
That means that Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island will provide at least some coverage for rehab treatment, both in Rhode Island and elsewhere. The specific coverage you receive and the costs you will pay depend on the BCBSRI plan you have.
If you struggle with using opioids in particular, you can take advantage of a treatment program without advanced approval. Your doctor will review your health history and recommend the right treatment plan for your needs. This might include office visits, intensive outpatient programs (IOPs), inpatient care, or partial hospitalization programs (PHPs).5
To learn more about your coverage, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card and speak to a BCBSRI representative.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is proud to be part of the Blue Cross Blue Shield treatment network. We are available at to answer any questions you have about rehab, treatment, and confirming insurance coverage.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island May Cover
The coverage you receive for addiction treatment will vary depending on your specific plan. Your insurance may be able to cover some or all of the cost of addiction treatment for alcohol, marijuana, opioids, or other substances.
Some of the types of addiction treatment that Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island may cover include:
- Medical detox: Medical detox can help ease withdrawal symptoms, which can be uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous. This helps get patients through the detoxification process comfortably and safely and facilitates the transition into ongoing addiction treatment.
- Inpatient treatment program: In an inpatient program, you will live at the facility while you learn new habits and work on your substance use triggers. This often involves both group and individual therapy and other activities to facilitate your recovery.
- Outpatient program: An outpatient program lets you live at home while attending treatment several times a week. This may be a step-down from inpatient care or you may start with an outpatient program.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): This type of outpatient program involves more frequent and longer treatment sessions. You will attend treatment multiple times a week for a few hours at a time.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): A PHP is similar to an inpatient program except that you live at home. You spend up to 6 hours a day in treatment, 5 days a week or more. After each session, you return home for the night.
- Aftercare: Aftercare is an important part of any treatment program. It helps you get the support you need to maintain your new habits and stay substance-free.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
It’s very common to have both a substance use disorder and a mental health disorder.6 In fact, research has found that about 50% of those struggling with substances in their lives will also experience a co-occurring mental disorder. Some common mental health issues that occur alongside substance use are ADHD, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and depression.6
Having a diagnosis of substance use disorder and a mental health disorder concurrently is known as a dual diagnosis. With dual diagnosis, also known as comorbidity, the illnesses can affect one another.7 Dual diagnosis treatment can help address both disorders.
Like substance use disorder treatment, mental health disorder treatment is included in the ACA’s list of essential benefits. This means your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island plan should cover some, if not all, of the cost of mental health and dual diagnosis treatment. You can even receive coverage for preexisting conditions, and the health insurance plan cannot impose a spending limit for medically necessary care.8
There is also a provision in the ACA known as “parity protection.” This means that a health care plan must cover mental health and addiction treatment at the same level as they would for another medical issue.8 They cannot, for example, provide a higher level of coverage for a long-term medical need than they do a long-term mental health need.8
How to Check Your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Coverage for Rehab
Finding a treatment facility can feel overwhelming but knowing in advance what your BCBS of Rhode Island insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage in Rhode Island or out of state, contact an admissions navigator at , or fill out the form below.
Which Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island?
American Addiction Centers is proud to be part of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island medical network. What does it mean to be in-network? Providers like AAC and insurers work together to agree on a fair price for treatment.9 Providers in the network have agreed to provide care to patients with that insurance plan for a specific price, which is often lower than what the public receives.9 These favorable arrangements allow insurers to keep costs low while also providing a wide range of care.9
You are not limited to addiction treatment in Rhode Island, either. BCBSRI may offer coverage for the following treatment centers:
- Adcare Rhode Island: This treatment center includes both inpatient and outpatient treatment locations. They offer co-occurring treatment, medical detox, and telehealth treatment among other options.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, this center specializes in both individual and family therapy. There is also a veteran-specific substance abuse treatment program at Desert Hope.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Greenhouse is a treatment center in Dallas County, Texas. This center specializes in family programs and individualized treatment, along with dual diagnosis treatment.
- Laguna Treatment Center: In sunny Orange County, California, you’ll find Laguna Treatment Center. The specialty here is 12-step involvement, along with family programs and aftercare support.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Etta, Mississippi, is a beautiful area, and Oxford Treatment Center takes full advantage of the surroundings. You can ride horses, participate in art therapy, and take advantage of this remote lakeside facility.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: River Oaks is close to Tampa, Florida, and supports spiritual, physical, and psychological recovery. There are 3 levels of residential and outpatient care, so all of your needs are met.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in the northern New Jersey mountains, Sunrise House specializes in intensive outpatient treatment and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Located on 22 tranquil acres, the mountain air and expert medical detox and treatment may help you start a new life.
Choosing to live a life free of substances is courageous, and you deserve all the support you can get on your journey. That’s why we are here to help. Contact an American Addiction Centers admissions navigator today at to find out how you can begin living a healthier, happier life.