Cigna Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab
There are hundreds of millions of patients who have health insurance through Cigna.1 For many, though, there is confusion about what exactly your insurance plan covers when it comes to substance abuse and mental health services. So, does Cigna cover the cost of addiction recovery treatment? The short answer is yes, it will cover at least some of the cost, but this page is intended to help you figure out what your Cigna healthcare does and does not cover.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) strives to provide you with the most updated information on each carriers’ addiction insurance coverage, but policy changes and errors do occur. Please check with your insurance carrier directly to confirm coverage levels.
Does Cigna Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab Treatment?
Yes, Cigna covers substance abuse treatment for its members. Cigna has partnerships with addiction rehab facilities throughout the country to provide a variety of detox, inpatient residential and outpatient services at discounted rates to members. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires that insurance companies provide some degree of coverage for mental health treatment, which includes substance use disorder (SUD) treatment (including coverage for drug and alcohol addiction).2
Examples of Cigna coverage:
Inpatient Addiction Recovery Treatment
Cigna covers at least some of the cost of inpatient rehabilitation for substance abuse treatment. Using the Cigna Connect 6500 EPO plan for an individual living in Wichita, Kansas as an example, this is how costs of care at a Cigna network inpatient facility would be shared:3
- The customer must pay the $6,500 annual deductible before Cigna starts covering costs.
- After the deductible is paid, the patient is still required to pay 50% of the remaining costs (known as the co-insurance rate) before reaching their out-of-pocket limit of $8,150. After the patient has met all those requirements, Cigna covers 100% of the remainder. The high cost of inpatient treatment makes it likely that this out-of-pocket maximum will be reached.
In this example, the 50% coinsurance rate also applies to any required prescription drugs (unless the out-of-pocket maximum has already been reached). Since this is an EPO plan, obtaining treatment outside of the network would lead to no rehab coverage.3
Outpatient Addiction Recovery Treatment
Cigna health insurance plans cover at least some of the cost of outpatient rehabilitation. For this example, we’ll look at an OAP plan for an individual living in Indiana. The breakdown of costs at an in-network outpatient facility includes the following:4
- This plan does not have an overall deductible, so the patient only has to pay a $50 co-payment when they visit the facility.
- The maximum out-of-pocket limit is $2,000, which would only be reached if the outpatient services for 40 days or more or if costs for other services had also been incurred.
This plan also includes a deductible for prescription medicines ($175f). Depending on the drug brand, the co-payment for prescription treatments range between $20-70. This plan does not cover any expenses if care is obtained outside of the Cigna OAP network.4
The amount of coverage you have can vary widely based on your state of residence, whether the facility is in- or out-of-network, the length of your stay, and your health insurance plan level. The cost of drug and alcohol addiction treatment will vary from person to person and will also depend on the rehab center, the type of program attended, and specific services received.
What Rehab Centers Take Cigna Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have an Cigna insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Cigna for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and telehealth.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Cigna insurance.
You can also check on which rehab centers accept your Cigna insurance by filling out the form below.
Different Types of Cigna Substance Abuse Treatment
Your Cigna health insurance plan may cover the following addiction treatment services:10,11
In some cases, you may need assistance when detoxing from drugs and alcohol, which can potentially be uncomfortable, painful, or even life threatening. Medical detox helps you safely withdrawal from drugs and alcohol, as you’ll receive around-the-clock medical supervision. You might also be given medications to help minimize withdrawal symptoms. Read more about Detox Centers Near Me.
Inpatient or Residential Care
Inpatient/residential live-in treatment centers provide drug and alcohol rehab while you live onsite at the facility. Most inpatient programs last anywhere from 15–90 days, depending on the program you’re in and your individual needs.
Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
Partial hospitalization programs give you the opportunity to live at home while attending treatment during the day.
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
Intensive outpatient rehab and therapy involve attending treatment programs a few evenings a week. In an intensive outpatient program, you can live at home and even go to work during the day.
Individuals who have completed inpatient treatment often attend outpatient treatment for ongoing support on their journey to sobriety. You live at home and spend 10–12 hours a week at a rehab facility for therapy and support.
Your total out-of-pocket costs for addiction treatment depend on the specific Cigna plan you have. Monthly premiums, copays, deductibles, and other potential costs all vary depending on the plan. But, with Cigna health insurance, at least a portion of your costs should be covered under your plan.
How to Check Your Cigna Rehab Coverage and Insurance Benefits
Before you decide which rehab center might be best for your needs, it’s important to check your insurance benefits to understand what costs are covered by your insurance provider, and which ones you are responsible for. Knowing exactly what your Cigna plan covers can give you peace of mind while you or your loved one is in recovery for drug and alcohol addiction. You can do the work of getting and staying sober without worrying about unexpected costs or financial struggles.
Recommended Addiction Treatment Articles
- Drug & Alcohol Rehab Hotline
- Inpatient Rehab Centers
- Best Rehab Centers
- Luxury Centers Rehab
- Couples Rehab Centers
- Dual Diagnosis Rehabs
- Inpatient Alcohol Rehab
- Rehab Insurance Coverage
- 90 Day Rehab Program
- Long Term Rehab Centers
- Sober Living Near Me
- Suboxone Treatment Centers
Insurance Providers and Rehab Treatment Coverage Levels
- Aetna Insurance
- American Family Insurance
- AmeriHealth Coverage
- APS Healthcare
- Assurant Health
- Beacon Health Options
- Behavioral Healthcare Options
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Community Health Choice
- Cooks Children’s Health
- Coventry Insurance
- Emblem Health
- Exclusive Care
- First Care
- First Health Network
- Geisinger Health Plan
- GEHA Health
- Great West Insurance
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
- HCSC Insurance
- Health Net
- HMO Insurance
- Kaiser Permanente
- Magellan Insurance
- Medical Mutual
- Meritain Health
- MVP Health Care
- Oxford Health Plans
- Providence Health & Services
- Sierra Health and Life
- Tufts Health Plan
- UPMC Health Plan
- Veterans Affairs (VA) Insurance