Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey: Detox & Rehab Centers in NJ That Take Cigna
Cigna is a global health insurance company that provides healthcare coverage to more than 180 million members.1 In New Jersey, Cigna offers individual, family, and group plans to residents throughout the state. Depending on your specific plan, Cigna New Jersey may provide full or partial coverage for detox, rehab, and other types of addiction treatment. This page provides an overview of the types of addiction treatment that may be covered by your Cigna plan, and how you can check your coverage at a rehab in New Jersey or out of state.
New Jersey is home to over 9 million people. Although small, the state has one of the highest population densities in the country.2 Unfortunately, many New Jersey residents live with addiction. In 2019, approximately:3
- 6.1% (464,000) of New Jersey residents reported having a past-year substance use disorder.
- 4.2% (318,000) of New Jersey residents reported having a past-year alcohol use disorder.
- 2.4% (183,000) of New Jersey residents reported having a past-year illicit use disorder.
- 3% (224,000) of New Jersey residents reported misusing prescription pain relievers.
If you’re living in New Jersey and are struggling with addiction, you’re not alone. In 2020, more than 82,000 New Jersey residents sought treatment for substance use.4 The good news is, there are rehab centers in New Jersey and throughout the country that can help you get the treatment you need to live a substance-free life.
What is Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey?
Cigna is a global health services company that provides health insurance coverage for members worldwide can access.5 Cigna aims to improve the health and well-being of members by making healthcare accessible, affordable, and simple.5
Cigna has a global network of 1.5 million clinics, facilities, and healthcare providers.5 More than 175,000 of these are mental and behavioral healthcare providers, including rehab centers for addiction.5
Does Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, Cigna New Jersey provides at least partial coverage for members seeking addiction treatment, including rehab.6 Exactly how much of the cost of treatment is covered depends on your specific plan.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all health insurance companies that offer plans on the Marketplace to cover 10 essential health benefits, including:7
- Ambulatory patient services.
- Emergency services.
- Maternity and newborn care.
- Mental health and substance use disorder services (including behavioral health treatment).
- Prescription drugs.
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices.
- Laboratory services.
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management.
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care.
The ACA is designed to ensure consumers can access affordable, comprehensive healthcare.7 This means that your Cigna New Jersey plan will at least partially cover the costs of any addiction treatment you receive, including inpatient and outpatient rehab.
Understanding what your plan covers before entering treatment can give you peace of mind so you can focus on what truly matters: recovery. Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a representative who can walk you through the details of your plan.
You can also contact American Addiction Centers (AAC) at . Our admissions navigators can verify your insurance, answer your questions about treatment, and help you with the admissions process when you’re ready.
What Substance Addiction Does Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey Cover?
If you’re a Cigna New Jersey member struggling with drug or alcohol use, you may wonder what type of substance addiction your insurance covers. Although recovery looks different for everyone, your Cigna New Jersey plan may provide coverage for addiction treatment for substances such as alcohol, cocaine, heroin, meth, opioids, and prescription drugs.
What Types of Addiction Treatment Does Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey Cover?
Addiction treatments vary to meet the needs of individuals who seek treatment. Before deciding on the type of treatment you need, you and your healthcare provider consider several factors, such as:8
- The substances you’re using and how long you’ve been using them.
- Whether you have other mental health conditions that require treatment.
- Your family support.
- Your living situation.
- How the treatment will be paid for (e.g., insurance, payment plan).
As a Cigna New Jersey member, your plan may cover the following types of addiction treatment:9
Detox is often the first step for individuals who are dependent on alcohol or certain drugs as withdrawal can cause uncomfortable and even life-threatening side effects. During a medically managed detox program, you receive 24-hour intensive medical care and supervision. Prescription medications are administered by a physician and are used to help your body safely withdraw. Once detox is complete, you can enter the next phase of treatment, such as inpatient rehab.
Also known as residential treatment, you will live at the rehab center for a certain period (e.g., 3 months) to focus wholly on your recovery. Individual and group therapy are important parts of inpatient rehab, where peers and professionals will help you understand addiction and teach you healthy coping mechanisms to support your recovery.
Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP)
These time-intensive programs typically require you to attend treatment 5 to 7 days per week for 6 to 8 hours per day. Partial hospitalization programs are often recommended for those who have completed a lower level of addiction care, such as outpatient rehab, and need more support.
Outpatient treatment programs are diverse, and the type you access will depend on your needs. Some outpatient treatment programs involve 12-step programs, therapy, and peer support groups.
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP)
Intensive outpatient programs are structured in a way that you can live at home but attend treatment frequently. Most involve attending treatment for 3 to 5 days per week, 3 to 4 hours per day.
Aftercare programs are designed to help individuals who have completed a more intensive treatment program (e.g., inpatient rehab) integrate back into the community. These programs provide peer and professional support to help address challenges and triggers. Many aftercare programs provide an opportunity to live in a sober living facility while reintegrating into society.
Does Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, Cigna of New Jersey provides some coverage, if not full coverage, for any mental health and dual diagnosis treatment you access. This is mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) as one of the 10 essential health benefits that all health insurance providers must cover.7
If you struggle with a mental health condition and substance use disorder (SUD), you’re not alone. About 50% of all individuals with SUD also have a co-occurring mental health condition, such as:10
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Bipolar disorder.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
“Dual diagnosis” is the term used when a person has SUD and a mental health condition. While these two conditions do not cause the other to occur, both conditions can worsen the other if left untreated.
Many individuals with mental health conditions turn to drugs and alcohol as a way of self-medicating.11 Unfortunately, drugs and alcohol may worsen mental health symptoms. That’s why treating both conditions at the same time is imperative for your long-term recovery and success.
Many treatment centers in New Jersey and out of state treat individuals with a dual diagnosis using comprehensive, evidence-based treatments.
How Long Does Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
How long you will stay in an inpatient alcohol and drug rehab program will depend on the severity of your addiction and the level of care you require. For example, you may stay in an inpatient program for 12 to 24 weeks or longer, depending on the level of support you need and how your recovery is going.
It’s important to stay in treatment for as long as is recommended by healthcare professionals. Studies show that those who stay in treatment for 3 months or longer have better long-term outcomes.12 In other words, the longer you stay in treatment, the higher your chances are of staying sober in the long run.
Exactly how long your Cigna New Jersey plan will cover your stay in rehab depends on the specific plan you have. Because there are so many different types of policies and tiers of coverage, each plan will differ in regards to coverage and time limitations.
To learn more about how long your rehab stay will be covered by your Cigna plan, look up your plan information on Cigna’s member portal online, or call the number on the back of your insurance card.
What if Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey Doesn’t Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Even with a comprehensive Cigna New Jersey plan that provides excellent coverage, you may still have some out-of-pocket expenses for attending an inpatient drug and alcohol rehab program. There are ways to help you cover your portion of the costs:
- Financing: Some rehab facilities offer payment plans and financing options. You will pay back the cost of treatment over time.
- Grants and scholarships: Some rehab facilities and the federal and state governments provide grants and scholarships to individuals who wish to attend rehab and can demonstrate financial need.
- Loans and lines of credit: Credit unions and banks may offer lines of credit and personal loans for individuals who need help paying for medical expenses, including addiction treatment. You may need good credit to be approved for a loan, or a trusted family member or friend to co-sign your loan with you.
- Fundraising/crowdfunding: Your family and friends may want to pitch in to help support your stay in rehab. This is an excellent way for them to play a role in your recovery.
How to Check Your Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey Coverage for Rehab
As you search for a treatment facility, knowing in advance what your Cigna New Jersey insurance will cover can give you peace of mind and make the process easier. This way, you can focus on what matters: recovery. To learn about your specific coverage in New Jersey or out of state, you can:
- Contact an American Addiction Centers at . You’ll be able to share your story with an admissions navigator, get information on treatment options, and start the admissions process if you’re ready.
- Fill out the form below to check what your Cigna New Jersey plan covers.
Which Rehab Centers Take Cigna HealthCare of New Jersey?
As a Cigna New Jersey member, you have access to a large network of healthcare providers, including rehab centers. Many American Addiction Centers (AAC) facilities accept Cigna insurance, including:
- AdCare Rhode Island: Get high-quality, evidence-based care at this Rhode Island-based rehab center. You’ll be provided with support in a caring environment to help you overcome your addiction.
- Recovery First Treatment Center: Based in Hollywood, Florida, this drug and alcohol rehab center offers many rehab programs to meet your unique needs, including detox, inpatient and outpatient rehab, and other therapy types.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Stay close to home at this premier addiction treatment center in Lafayette, New Jersey. Individualized care and support will be provided to support your recovery.
For more AAC rehab facilities that accept Cigna New Jersey, use our addiction treatment center directory. You can narrow down your search and filter by treatment type, location, and accepted insurances to find a list of facilities and programs that may work for you.
AAC is committed to helping those who are struggling with substance use break the cycle of addiction. Our admissions navigators are available around the clock now at to help you with the admissions process once you’re ready.