Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab
Many people struggle with drug and alcohol addiction, and there can be confusion about what rehabilitation your insurance plan covers when it comes to substance abuse and mental health services. Treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction is typically comprised of detox, therapy, and aftercare planning. Types of facilities include traditional, holistic, luxury, teen-specific, gender-specific, and dual diagnosis. These are usually broken into inpatient and outpatient centers. Other factors to consider in a rehab include the setting, treatment philosophy, and amenities.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Addiction Treatment?
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) cover the cost of drug and alcohol addiction treatment? The short answer is yes, it will cover at least some of the cost, but this page is intended to help you figure out what your BCBS healthcare does and does not cover.
Almost all of Blue Cross Blue Shield plans include coverage for mental health conditions, but the amount of coverage for treatment depends on your policy. The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act requires that health insurance companies and group health plans to provide equal coverage for mental health services, such as drug and alcohol abuse treatment, as they do medical coverage.1
This act was created to expand mental health and substance abuse coverage for people across the country. As a result, many BCBS companies may provide you with affordable coverage, and that is reflected in the pricing. For example, an unlimited stay at an approved inpatient treatment center may cost $250 out of pocket. For an out-of-network treatment center, you might pay $350 plus a set fee based on your plan allowance.
The amount of coverage you have can vary widely based on your state of residence, whether the facility is in- or out-of-network, the length of your stay, and your insurance plan level. The cost of drug and alcohol addiction treatment will vary from person to person and will also depend on the rehab center, the type of program attended, and specific services received.
Check Your BCBS Rehab Coverage
Before you decide which drug and alcohol rehab center might be best for your needs, it’s important to check your insurance benefits to understand what costs are covered by your insurance provider, and which ones you are responsible for. Knowing exactly what Blue Cross Blue Shield plans cover can give you peace of mind while you or your loved one is in a rehab center. You can do the work of getting and staying sober without worrying about unexpected costs or financial struggles. You can also check on which rehab centers that take Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance giving us a call on or filling out the form below.
What Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and telehealth.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and telehealth.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and telehealth, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and telehealth, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
Different Types of Blue Cross Blue Shield Addiction Treatment
Your BCBS insurance plan may cover the following addiction treatment services:4,5
Detox Programs: In some cases, you may need assistance when detoxing from drugs and alcohol, which can potentially be uncomfortable, painful, or even life threatening. Medical detox helps you safely withdrawal from drugs and alcohol, as you’ll receive around-the-clock medical supervision. You might also be given medications to help minimize withdrawal symptoms. Read more: Detox Centers.
Inpatient or Residential Care: Inpatient/residential live-in treatment centers provide substance abuse rehab while you live onsite at the facility. Most inpatient programs last anywhere from 15–90 days, depending on the program you’re in and your individual needs. Read more: Residential Inpatient Rehab Centers.
Partial Hospitalization (PHP): Partial hospitalization programs give you the opportunity to live at home while attending drug and alcohol treatment during the day. Read more: Partial Hospitalization Programs.
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): Intensive outpatient programs involve attending substance abuse treatment programs a few evenings a week. In an intensive outpatient program, you can live at home and even go to work during the day. Read more: Intensive Outpatient Program.
Outpatient Treatment: Individuals who have completed inpatient treatment often attend outpatient treatment for ongoing support on their journey to sobriety. You live at home and spend 10–12 hours a week at the treatment facility for therapy and support. Read more: Outpatient Treatment Programs.
Your total out-of-pocket costs for drug and alcohol rehab treatment depend on the specific BCBS plan you have. Monthly premiums, copays, deductibles, and other potential costs all vary depending on the plan. But, with BCBS insurance, at least a portion of your costs should be covered under your plan.