Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield: Rehabs & Detox Centers in AR That Take BCBS
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is a national healthcare provider. In Arkansas, the insurance company is branded as Arkansas BCBS and provides healthcare coverage for individuals and families living in the state. If you’re an Arkansas BCBS member and are considering rehab for drug or alcohol use, your insurance plan may cover some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment.
If you or a loved one are struggling with drugs or alcohol addiction, you’re not alone. Many people in Arkansas struggle with substance use. More than 5% of Arkansas residents live with alcohol use disorder, while 3% are addicted to illicit drugs such as heroin or methamphetamine.1
Addiction can negatively impact a person’s life both personally and professionally, and in some cases, can be fatal. In 2019, nearly 400 Arkansas residents died of a drug overdose.2 Getting treatment for substance use disorder can help you improve your health and well-being and may even save your life.
As an Arkansas BCBS member, your insurance plan may cover some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment. This includes detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment programs.3
What Is Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield?
Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield was founded in 1948 and is the largest health insurance provider in the state.4 Arkansas BCBS is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), a nationwide federation of 35 independent and locally run health insurance providers.
Arkansas BCBS aims to provide affordable care for all citizens and improve the health of the community and members it serves.4
As a not-for-profit organization, Arkansas BCBS is owned by policyholders (also known as members), not stockholders.4 This means that member premiums pay for health insurance claims and administrative costs.4 In doing so, Arkansas BCBS can provide affordable plans for individuals and families.
Does Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, Arkansas BCBS provides at least partial, if not full, coverage for rehab and other addiction treatment. This is partially thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which mandates that all insurance companies must offer at least partial coverage for substance use disorder treatment.5 Substance use disorder treatment and mental health disorder treatment are essential benefits under this law.5
The amount Arkansas BCBS covers depends on your specific plan, as well as other factors like the rehab you choose, the level of care you need, and how long you stay in rehab.
Arkansas BCBS members also have access to the New Direction Behavioral Health team of licensed clinicians who can answer questions about potential treatment options and help you match with the right providers based on what you need. The team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via the Substance Use Member Hotline at 877-326-2458 or the Substance Use Center.6
American Addiction Centers is also here to help. You can call to speak with an admissions navigator. We’ll answer your questions, verify your insurance to determine what addiction treatments your plan covers, and provide information about what you can expect while in rehab.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield May Cover
The addiction treatment you receive will be personalized to your needs. Rehab facilities will consider what substances you are using, how long you’ve been using them, and any other mental health disorders you have to develop the right treatment plan for you.
Addiction treatments that may be covered by your Arkansas BCBS plan include:
- Medical detox: Medical detox is an evidence-based treatment that helps patients comfortably and safely withdraw from drugs and alcohol. With prescription medications, medical detox helps reduce the pain and discomfort of withdrawal to help you prepare for the next phase of treatment, such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient rehab: Inpatient rehab facilities provide addiction treatment in a residential setting. A combination of individual and group therapy is a key component of inpatient rehab programs. While in inpatient rehab, you will live at the facility and have access to care and support from medical providers and other staff 24/7.
- Outpatient rehab: Outpatient addiction treatment programs allow you to live at home while attending rehab at a treatment facility during daytime hours. The time commitment of these programs can vary, but many allow you to attend treatment in the evening, so you can attend to personal and work responsibilities during the day.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): Intensive outpatient programs are time-intensive programs that allow you to live at home while attending treatment. Most IOPs require individuals to attend treatment several days a week, for 3 to 4 hours at a time.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): Partial hospitalization programs are similarly structured to inpatient rehab programs but allow you to live at home while in treatment. In a PHP, you will attend treatment approximately 5 days a week for 4 to 6 hours at a time.
- Aftercare: Aftercare treatment programs provide ongoing support to individuals who have completed an inpatient or outpatient program. This transitional type of care is provided to help prevent relapse and support long-term sobriety.
The Arkansas BCBS plan you have determines the level of coverage provided for addiction treatments. While you may have some out-of-pocket expenses like copays and deductibles, you can take comfort in knowing that at least some of your treatment for addiction to substances such as alcohol, cocaine, or heroin will be covered.
Does Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all health insurance providers must provide “parity” protections between substance misuse and mental health benefits as well as medical and surgical benefits.5 This means if you have a mental health disorder or a dual diagnosis, Arkansas BCBS will cover some, if not all, of your treatment.
Studies show that nearly half of people living with substance use disorder also have a co-occurring mental health disorder, such as anxiety or depression.7 This is known as a co-occurring disorder, or “dual diagnosis” in clinical terms.8
Many rehabs in Arkansas and throughout the United States offer treatment for both substance use disorder and other mental health disorders. These facilities use an integrated, comprehensive approach to ensure both conditions are addressed and treated appropriately. Treating both conditions at once may help prevent future relapse and support a person’s ongoing recovery.8
How to Check Your Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield Coverage for Rehab
Finding a drug or alcohol treatment center can feel overwhelming, but knowing in advance what your Arkansas BCBS insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage in Arkansas or out of state, contact an admissions navigator at , or fill out the form below.
Which Rehab Centers Take Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield?
Arkansas BCBS members have access to a wide network of healthcare providers in Arkansas and throughout the country, including rehab centers and other addiction treatment providers. American Addiction Centers provide evidence-based, top-tier addiction treatment. Some of our highest quality facilities that accept Arkansas BCBS are:
- AdCare Rhode Island: AdCare provides evidence-based addiction treatment in a supportive environment.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope Treatment Center provides individualized treatment plans to help address addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Dallas, Texas, Greenhouse Treatment Center provides a variety of addiction treatment services and individualized treatment plans for those with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: This Orange County, California facility provides high-quality addiction treatment and care in a supportive environment with staff available for support and care.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford Treatment Centers provides high-quality drug and alcohol addiction treatment in a relaxed environment.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: River Oaks Treatment Center in Riverview, Florida, has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of care while you are in treatment for addiction.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette, New Jersey, Sunrise House Treatment Center is a premier addiction center that provides a comprehensive continuum of care and individualized treatment plans.
American Addiction Centers is committed to helping those struggling with substance use break the cycle of addiction. If you have questions about addiction treatment or want to know what your Arkansas BCBS insurance covers, you can contact us at . Our admissions navigators are there for you to offer support and assist you with the admissions process when you’re ready.
More Questions About Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance?
Get personalized support and have your questions answered via text message.