Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina: Rehabs & Detox Centers in SC That Take BCBS
For those struggling with addiction, seeking treatment is a brave first step on the journey to recovery. But for many, the cost can be a barrier to getting the help they need. Fortunately, there are many ways to pay for treatment. If you’re a Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of South Carolina member, your insurance may be able to cover some, if not all, of the cost of drug and alcohol rehab. This page will help you understand the types of addiction treatment your BCBS of South Carolina plan may cover.
Substance use disorders (SUDs) are prevalent throughout the U.S., including South Carolina. Approximately 24% of South Carolina residents report binge drinking alcohol in the past month, while 4% report using illicit drugs other than marijuana in the past month.1 In 2021, nearly 1,900 South Carolina residents died from a drug overdose, which was a 29%, increase compared to the previous year.2
Fortunately, addiction treatment in South Carolina is available. As a BCBS of South Carolina member, your insurance may be able to provide full or partial coverage for addiction treatment.
What Is Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina is 1 of 35 independent and locally operated licensees of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA).3 For over 70 years, BCBS of South Carolina has provided health insurance to residents throughout the state.4 The healthcare provider is the only South Carolina insurer to offer health insurance solutions in the individual and family market, group market, and Medicare and Medicaid market.5
BCBS of South Carolina’s Preferred Blue network is the state’s largest, with more than 10,000 providers.6 Every hospital in the state is considered an in-network provider under BCBS of South Carolina plans, meaning there is likely a covered hospital that provides rehab services near you.6
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, your Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina insurance should provide coverage for rehab in some capacity.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all health insurers in the Marketplace to provide some level of coverage for 10 essential health benefits, including mental and behavioral health services.7 Specifically, health plans must cover the following services in some capacity:8
- Behavioral health services.
- Inpatient mental and behavioral treatment.
- Treatment for substance use disorders (e.g., rehab).
Companion Benefit Alternatives, Inc. (CBA) manages the BCBS of South Carolina behavioral health network.9 CBA works to help make referrals to network health providers, including those in South Carolina and across the country.9
Exact coverage details will depend on your specific plan’s design and network limits. If you have questions about what is covered, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak to a representative.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) works with a variety of insurers, including BCBS. AAC has numerous treatment centers across the U.S. that you can access using your plan. Our admissions navigators are available 24 hours a day at to discuss addiction treatment options and help you start the admissions process when you’re ready.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina May Cover
The types of addiction treatment that Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina may cover will vary depending on the type of care you need, the plan you have, and where you receive care. Still, BCBS of South Carolina should cover at least some of the cost of addiction treatment for substances such as alcohol, crystal meth, and opioids, among others.
Some of the most common types of treatment include:10,11,12
- Medical detox: Medical detox can help patients avoid significant side effects as the body rids itself of substances (e.g., alcohol, drugs). Professionals can help patients comfortably and safely manage withdrawal symptoms, which can help prepare patients for ongoing addiction treatment.
- Inpatient programs: With an inpatient program, patients typically stay overnight at a facility and receive around-the-clock care for a set amount of time (e.g., days, weeks, or months). Inpatient programs typically involve group and individual therapy, as well as other activities to support recovery.
- Outpatient programs: Outpatient programs take place at a facility a few times a week with patients returning home in the evening. Outpatient programs may follow inpatient treatment as a step-down.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): IOPs provide a more structured approach to outpatient programs, as patients are required to attend a minimum number of hours of sessions each week, but no overnight stays are required.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): A PHP typically involves receiving care 4 to 8 hours per day for a few days a week, but patients return home in the evening.
- Aftercare: The term “aftercare” can refer to several types of follow-up or ongoing care that a patient receives after their initial treatment is finished.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, your Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina insurance should cover some, if not all, of mental health and dual diagnosis treatment.
“Dual diagnosis” (or co-occurring disorder) is a term used to describe someone who has a substance use disorder (SUD) and a mental illness at the same time.12 About 9.2 million Americans have a co-occurring disorder, such as alcohol addiction and depression.12 Research strongly suggests that treating both conditions at once provides the best outcomes.12
The ACA’s mandate on covering mental and behavioral health services in some capacity ensures that members of BCBS of South Carolina can receive the treatment they need for a dual diagnosis.7
How to Check Your Blue Shield of South Carolina Coverage for Rehab
Finding the right treatment facility for you can feel overwhelming but knowing ahead of time what your BCBS of South Carolina insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. Fortunately, there are two easy ways to check your coverage.
- Contact an admissions navigator at for information on treatment options. An admissions advisor can listen to your unique story, discuss your treatment options, and verify your insurance over the phone.
- Fill out the form below to verify your insurance.
Which Rehab Centers Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina has a network of more than 10,000 providers, which means there are likely several rehab centers near you that will take your plan. American Addiction Centers (AAC) is also an in-network provider with BCBS. This means that your BCBS of South Carolina plan may fully or partially cover treatment at an AAC facility. You can use our rehab directory and filter by “insurance” to locate in-network facilities near you.
AAC has facilities throughout the U.S., including the following that accept BCBS:
- AdCare Rhode Island: This Rhode Island rehab center has 4 locations, 3 of which provide outpatient services, and 1 that provides inpatient residential treatment. The locations provide a variety of treatment options including co-occurring disorder treatment, medical detox, addiction-focused care, inpatient residential, PHPs, IOPs, telehealth, and outpatient therapy services.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: This upscale center near Las Vegas, Nevada offers inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and sober living, as well as a specialized recovery program for veterans and first responders.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: This spa-like rehab facility in Dallas, Texas, provides a variety of treatments, including specialized programs for veterans, Christians, members of the LGBTQ community, and recovering licensed professionals.
- Laguna Treatment Center: This Orange County treatment facility boasts hotel-style accommodations and expert medical care, providing a variety of rehab services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: This treatment center has 2 locations in Mississippi, one in Etta (residential) and one in Oxford (outpatient). There are unique amenities across both campuses, including equine therapy and experimental therapies (e.g., art, yoga, and music therapy).
- River Oaks Treatment Center: The staff at this Florida facility is well-versed in many different treatment types to support their program’s base of 8 dimensions of wellness. There are also dedicated treatment programs for first responders here.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Situated on 22 acres of mountainous country in New Jersey, this location provides services from medical detox to aftercare, as well as a robust MAT program.
Deciding to get treatment for drug or alcohol use is a brave step, and you deserve to be supported on your journey to recovery. American Addiction Centers is committed to helping break the cycle of addiction so you can live a happier, healthier life. If you have questions about your treatment options or want to know what your BCBS of South Carolina insurance covers, contact us at 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.