Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey: Rehabs & Detox Centers in NJ That Take BCBS
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is a nationwide healthcare provider in the United States. In New Jersey, BCBS is branded as Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon BCBSNJ) and provides healthcare coverage for individuals and families living in the state. If you’re a Horizon BCBSNJ member considering rehab for drug or alcohol use, your insurance plan may cover some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment in New Jersey.
In 2020, more than 82,000 New Jersey residents entered treatment for substance misuse, of which alcohol, heroin, and other opioids were the most misused.1 In 2018, nearly 90% of drug overdose deaths in the state were tied to opioids.1,2
As a Horizon BCBSNJ member, your insurance plan should cover at least some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment, such as detox, inpatient rehab, and outpatient rehab.3
What Is Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey?
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey was founded in 1932 and is the state’s largest and oldest health insurance corporation.4 Horizon BCBSNJ is a not-for-profit organization and an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), a federation of 35 independent, locally run health insurance companies.
Horizon BCBSNJ’s mission is to empower members to achieve their best health, and the health insurance provider aims to improve the affordability and quality of healthcare for all.4
Horizon BCBSNJ offers standard, Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant plans for individuals and families through the Health Marketplace.5 Horizon BCBSNJ also offers Medicare, Medicaid, dental, and vision plans.5
Does Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes. As a Horizon BCBSNJ member, your insurance plan will provide at least partial coverage for rehab and other addiction treatment. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) lists treatment for substance use disorders as an essential health benefit and mandates coverage for most substance use disorders treatments.6 This means at least part of your addiction treatment, including rehab costs, will be covered by your Horizon BCBSNJ plan.
Horizon BCBSNJ plans vary in terms of monthly premiums, deductibles, and the amount of coverage provided for medical treatment. Your out-of-pocket expenses and coverage for rehab will vary depending on several factors, including the rehab you attend, the level of care you require, and how long you stay in rehab.
Horizon BCBSNJ also offers comprehensive behavioral health support and can help connect you with care and treatment programs for substance use disorders.7 Some behavioral health services (e.g., rehab) may require prior authorization. This means you will need a doctor to attest to the need for addiction treatment. Horizon BCBSNJ’s behavioral health care team will work with you and your doctor to get the support and treatment you need.7
To learn more about your coverage and substance use disorder treatment, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a Horizon BCBSNJ representative. You can also call the American Addiction Centers helpline at to speak with an admissions navigator. We can verify your insurance, discuss treatment programs, and help you navigate the admissions process when you’re ready.
Types of Addiction Treatment That Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey May Cover
There are several types of addiction treatment for different substances like alcohol, illicit drugs, and prescription drugs. The addiction treatment you receive will depend on your unique situation. The substances you’re using, how long you’ve been using them, and the level of care you need or prefer will be considered when determining the right treatment plan for you.
Horizon BCBSNJ may cover several types of addiction treatment, such as:
- Medical detox: Detox uses prescription medications to allow patients to withdraw from drugs and alcohol comfortably and safely before transitioning to a treatment program, such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient rehab: With this program patients live at the treatment facility in a residential setting. Individual and group therapy are integral parts of inpatient rehab, and care and support are available around the clock from highly trained staff.
- Outpatient treatment: Outpatient options allows patients to live at home while attending treatment at a facility during the day. The time commitment for these programs varies depending on the program, but many allow patients to attend to family and work responsibilities during the day and attend treatment in the evening.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): In an IOP, patients live at home as in traditional outpatient programming, but treatment is more time-intensive. Patients attend treatment several days a week, for approximately 3 to 4 hours each day.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): Similar in structure to an inpatient level, a PHP is time-intensive and requires patients to attend treatment approximately 5 days a week for 4 to 6 hours each day. You can live at home while attending this program.
- Aftercare: Aftercare treatment programs provide ongoing support to those who have completed another program. Aftercare programs can help support ongoing recovery and prevent relapse.
While coverage varies based on your specific Horizon BCBSNJ policy, you can take solace knowing that at least some, if not all, of the cost of drug or alcohol rehab will be covered. Keep in mind that you still may be responsible for certain out-of-pocket costs like copays and deductibles. You can talk to a Horizon BCBSNJ representative or an American Addiction Centers admissions navigator ahead of time to better understand what you’ll be responsible for paying.
Does Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Horizon BCBSNJ will cover some, if not all, mental health and dual diagnosis treatment.6
Studies show that almost 50% of individuals living with substance use disorder also have other mental health disorders, such as anxiety, depression, and/or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This is known as a co-occurring disorder or a “dual diagnosis.”8
Many rehab facilities provide dual diagnosis treatment for individuals with substance use disorder and a mental health disorder. These facilities take a comprehensive, evidence-based approach to treating both conditions concurrently, to increase a patient’s chance at long-term recovery. People with mental health disorders often “self-medicate” with drugs and alcohol as a means of escaping the difficulties they face.8 Addressing both disorders may help prevent relapse. 8
Horizon BCBSNJ offers mental health benefits for all members. As of July 2021, Horizon is covering care management services for members with substance use disorder and other mental health needs that may require additional treatment along with addiction treatment.9
Horizon BCBSNJ members who use this benefit are assigned a Care Manager who will coordinate their care, help them build relationships, and assist them with anything they may need to support their recovery.9
How to Check Your Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Coverage for Rehab
Finding a treatment facility can feel overwhelming but knowing what your Horizon BCBSNJ insurance will cover before you enter treatment can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage for rehab is easy. To learn about your specific coverage in New Jersey or out of state, contact an admissions navigator at , or fill out the form below.
Which Rehab Centers Take Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey?
Horizon BCBSNJ members have access to a large network of healthcare providers in New Jersey and beyond, including those who offer treatment for substance use disorder. American Addiction Centers has several rehab facilities in the United States that accept Horizon BCBSNJ insurance, including:
- AdCare Rhode Island: Located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides high-quality, evidence-based addiction treatment in a supportive environment.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in sunny Las Vegas, Desert Hope Treatment Center provides a high level of care and individualized treatment plans to help address addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: This Dallas, Texas, rehab facility provides a wide variety of addiction treatment services and individualized treatment plans for people with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna Treatment Hospital provides high-quality addiction treatment and care in a supportive environment with staff available around the clock.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford Treatment Center provides high-quality drug and alcohol addiction treatment in a serene environment.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: This Riverview, Florida, treatment center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of care.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette, New Jersey, Sunrise House Treatment Center is a premier addiction center that provides a comprehensive continuum of care and individualized treatment plans.
American Addiction Centers is committed to helping individuals struggling with drug or alcohol use break the cycle of addiction. If you have questions about addiction treatment or want to know what your Horizon BCBSNJ insurance covers, you can contact us at 24 hours a day. Our admissions navigators are available around the clock to provide resources, offer support, and assist you with the admissions process when you’re ready.