Cigna Florida: Rehab & Detox Programs in FL That Take Cigna
Also known as the Sunshine State, Florida is a popular travel destination for many families, with tourists frequenting popular cities like Orlando, Miami, Tampa, and the Florida Keys every single year.1 Florida is the third-largest state by population in the United States, with approximately 21,538,187 residents.2
Across the state, 6.3% of the population aged 12 or older reported past-year substance use disorder (SUD) from 2017–2019, equating to 1.1 million people.3 Specifically, during this time period in the same age range, 770,000 Floridians reported past-year alcohol use disorder (AUD), 490,000 reported past-year illicit drug use disorder, 165,000 reported past-year opioid use disorder (OUD), 752,000 reported past-year misuse of prescription pain relievers, and 51,000 reported past-year heroin use.3 If you’re struggling with addiction or an SUD, know that you’re not alone. In March 2019, approximately 57,335 residents were enrolled in substance use treatment in Florida.3
Getting treatment for addiction or SUDs is one of the best ways to fully recover. However, it often comes at a cost. Fortunately, most insurers cover the cost of treatment in some capacity. If you have a Cigna Florida plan, specificially, you may be able to use it to cover at least some of the cost of detox treatment, inpatient or outpatient rehab, or more long-term treatment programs.
How to Check My Cigna Coverage for Rehab in Florida
Finding a treatment facility can feel overwhelming but knowing in advance what your Cigna insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage, contact one of our admissions navigators at , click here, or fill out the form below.
What Is Cigna Florida?
Cigna Florida is not a type of health plan or an official plan or company name, per se. However, Cigna is a nationwide insurance provider that has been in business for over 200 years.4 Today, the company provides health insurance solutions to over 180 million customers in more than 30 countries across the globe.5 In addition to serving 17 million global medical customers, Cigna provides Medicare Advantage plans in 16 states and Washington, D.C., and Medicare Prescription plans in all 50 states.5
Floridians may be able to receive health care coverage through Cigna in a variety of ways. Employer-sponsored plans may be serviced by Cigna, and individuals and families may be able to receive coverage through the Florida Marketplace plans, Medicare, or Medicaid plans. In Florida, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company is the trade name of Cigna.6
Does Cigna Cover Rehab Treatment in Florida?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that almost all health plans in the United States, including Florida Cigna plans, cover at least some of the cost of treatment. This is because rehab is considered to be a substance use disorder treatment, which falls under the classification of mental and behavioral health services, which are considered to be an essential health benefit under the ACA.7 Consequently, most insurers must provide coverage in some capacity for this treatment type, as well as coverage for inpatient and residential mental and behavioral treatment and behavioral health services.7
Coverage details may vary based on your plan, cost-sharing requirements, and where you receive care. In Florida, the AAC River Oaks Treatment Center in Tampa and Recovery First Treatment Center in Hollywood are two local substance use rehab facilities that may be able to accept a Cigna Florida insurance plan. To verify coverage, you can call the number on the back of your insurance plan or call one of our admissions navigators at to have them verify your benefits and coverage.
What Substance Addiction Does Rehab Treatment Cover?
What your Cigna plan covers will vary greatly depending on the specific policy that you have. Despite this, your Cigna plan should be able to help cover at least some of the cost of treatment for substances such as alcohol, marijuana, opioids, heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, and prescription drugs. You can check what your plan covers by calling the number on the back of your insurance card, logging in to your Cigna member portal, or calling a rehab facility directly to ask them what type of care may be covered at their facility under your policy.
What Rehab Programs does Cigna Florida Cover?
The rehab programs that your Cigna Florida plan may cover will vary based on the plan you have and where you receive care. Despite these variances, as well as the note that your path to recovery will be specific to you, there are a variety of common treatment methods that may be covered by your Cigna Florida plan in some capacity. These treatments may include:8,9
- Medical detox: To rid the body of substances like alcohol and/or drugs, patients may undergo medically supervised detox. Medical detox is done under the supervision of trained professionals to help manage discomfort as well as potentially life-threatening withdrawal symptoms, depending on the substance of abuse.
- Inpatient programs: Inpatient programs are those that involve overnight stays where patients receive round-the-clock care for days, weeks, or months.
- Outpatient programs: In an outpatient program, patients typically visit a facility once or twice a week and then return home after their session is finished.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP): As the name suggests, IOPs are more intensive programs than standard outpatient programs. With IOPs, patients typically attend a minimum number of hours of sessions per week at a facility.
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP): With a PHP, patients generally go to a facility for 4–8 hours per day multiple times per week to receive medically supervised care.
- Aftercare: Any care that is received after rehab is completed, which can include ongoing care or follow-up care, is called aftercare. This could include things like sober living. Aftercare helps individuals maintain their sobriety as they move into the next phase of recovery.
Does Cigna in FL Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Due to the essential health benefit coverage mandate from the ACA, Cigna health plans in Florida must cover mental health and dual diagnosis treatment in some capacity.7 The National Insitute on Mental Health found that approximately 9.2 million Americans have a dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorder.10 A dual diagnosis is what it is called when a patient has a diagnosis of two or more co-occurring conditions.10 According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a co-occurring condition is when a patient has both a mental health and substance use disorder at the same time.10
Because a mental health and SUD can affect or exacerbate the other, (e.g., anxiety disorders, ADHD, and depression) many recommend that the conditions be treated at the same time.10
Which Rehab Centers in Florida Take Cigna Insurance?
American Addiction Centers has rehab facilities throughout the country, including in Florida. AAC facilities provide drug and alcohol treatment, and many are in-network providers with Cigna plans. If you’re seeking treatment, consider checking whether your Cigna Florida plan will cover treatment at one of the seven AAC facilities below:
- AdCare Rhode Island: The AdCare Rhode Island AAC treatment center is made up of four different facilities across Rhode Island. The North Kingstown location is the only inpatient facility, while the Warwick, Greenville, and South Kingstown locations are outpatient facilities. Services and treatments provided across the locations include co-occurring disorder treatment, medical detox, inpatient residential, PHP, IOP, telehealth services, outpatient therapy and COVID-19 testing.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: This treatment center, which is located in Las Vegas, Nevada, is one of Nevada’s 25 private treatment facilities. It offers IOP and PHPs, medical detox, co-occurring disorder treatment, inpatient residential, outpatient therapy, and telehealth.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: This AAC rehab facility has two campuses, one is located in Grand Prairie, Texas, and the other is located in Arlington, Texas. It provides a variety of services, including outpatient, residential, and aftercare services. What’s more, it provides specialized rehab programs for the LGBTQ community.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Aliso Viejo, California, this AAC facility boasts home-like private and double-occupancy rooms for patients. The treatment hospital provides residential inpatient treatment services, including medical detox, as well as aftercare planning services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: This AAC facility has two campuses, one in a lakeside setting in Etta, Mississippi, and another in Oxford. The Etta-based facility offers medical detox and residential treatment, and the Oxford facility offers PHP, IOP, outpatient therapy, and aftercare services.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: This AAC facility, which is located in Riverview, Florida, provides high-quality, holistic, and evidence-based treatment to patients. Services include three levels of residential and outpatient care, as well as medically supervised detox.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: This AAC facility, which is located in Sussex County, New Jersey, is situated on 22 acres of mountain terrain. In addition to providing medically supervised detox services, patients can also receive residential, IOP, and general outpatient care at this facility.
If these AAC facilities happen to be out of your Cigna Florida plan’s network, there are still quality rehab centers at which you can receive covered care. There are drug rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs.
- College of Education, University of South Florida. (n.d.). Exploring Florida: A social studies resource for students and teachers.
- United States Census Bureau. (2021). Quick facts, Florida.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Behavioral health barometer Florida, volume 6.
- Cigna. (n.d.). Cigna milestones.
- Cigna (n.d.). Company profile.
- Cigna. (n.d.). Health insurance plans in Florida.
- Healthcare.gov. (n.d.). Mental health & substance abuse coverage.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2015). TIP 45: Detoxification and substance abuse treatment.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2014). What is substance abuse treatment?
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Mental health and substance use disorders.