Cigna Texas: Detox & Rehab Centers in TX That Take Cigna
Cigna is a global health services company that promotes the well-being of members through health insurance coverage and wellness services.1 Depending on your specific plan, Cigna may be able to cover some, if not all, of the cost of substance use disorder (SUD) treatment, including detox, inpatient and outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment. This page will help you understand the types of addiction treatment Cigna may cover and how to check your coverage for rehab in Texas or out of state.
If you’re a Texas resident struggling with substance use, know that you’re not alone. In 2019, approximately:2
- 5.9% (1.4 million) of Texas residents reported having a past-year substance use disorder.
- 4.5% (1 million) of Texas residents reported having a past-year alcohol use disorder.
- 2.1% (495,000) of Texas residents reported having a past-year illicit use disorder.
Substance use is common throughout Texas, but help is available. While recovery looks different for everyone, it often includes detox and rehab. Fortunately, several rehabs in Texas accept Cigna, but coverage will depend on your specific plan.
What Is Cigna Texas?
Cigna is a global health services company that offers members access to affordable, high-quality healthcare.1 Cigna offers several plans to Texas residents, but the two most popular plans in the state are Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) and Health Savings Accounts (HSA).3 No matter which Cigna plan you have, all boast several benefits, with some plans offering $0 copayments on preventive care, virtual care, and certain medications.4 Members can also take advantage of virtual care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.4
Does Cigna Texas Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, Cigna should provide full or partial coverage for the cost of rehab and other addiction treatment at a facility in Texas or out of state.
Cigna’s health insurance plans are available on the Texas Health Insurance Marketplace and through employers. These long-term plans are subject to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), a health insurance law that mandates all long-term health insurance plans cover 10 essential benefits.5 One of these essential health benefits is coverage for substance use disorder (SUD) treatment.5 This means that you can rely on your Cigna plan to provide at least some coverage for SUD treatment at a rehab in Texas or out of state.
While your Cigna plan may provide some coverage for SUD treatment, the exact amount of coverage you’ll receive depends on your specific plan. It’s a good idea to call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a Cigna representative. This way you’ll know exactly what’s covered and how much you’ll be financially responsible for.
You can also contact American Addiction Centers (AAC) at to speak with an admissions navigator. AAC has treatment facilities across the U.S. that are in-network with Cigna. Our admissions navigator can answer questions you may have about treatment, verify your insurance over the phone, and help you with the admissions process when you’re ready.
What Substance Addiction Does Cigna Texas Cover?
Your Cigna plan may provide coverage for addiction treatment for commonly misused substances such as:6
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
What Types of Addiction Treatment Does Cigna Texas Cover?
Cigna is committed to making substance use disorder (SUD) treatment more accessible by expanding its network and targeting areas with a provider shortage.7
While coverage varies by plan, there are several types of addiction treatment and therapy programs you can expect to be fully or partially covered by your Cigna plan. Some types of treatment that your insurance may cover include:8, 9, 10
- Detox programs: Although not everyone requires detox, it’s an important component of recovery for some. During detox, your body rids itself of substances (e.g., alcohol, drugs). Detox can cause uncomfortable and potentially dangerous side effects, which is why medically managed detox is important. During medically managed detox, prescription medications are administered by a physician to help ease the effects of withdrawal.
- Inpatient treatment programs: Inpatient treatment is a form of rehab that requires patients to live at a treatment center full-time. This type of treatment is often recommended for patients with more severe SUD, as it provides around-the-clock care and support. Inpatient treatment varies but often involves individual and group therapy where patients learn about the root of their addiction as well as coping mechanisms to sustain their recovery.
- Outpatient treatment programs: Outpatient treatment is a form of rehab that does not require patients to live at a treatment center. Outpatient treatment can be a good option for people with a less severe SUD or those who need to continue school or work.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): IOPs allow patients to live at home and continue attending school or work while receiving treatment for their addiction. This type of program can be helpful for those who need more intensive support than a standard outpatient program.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): PHPs may be recommended for patients who need more structure than outpatient treatment provides but do not require full-time care and support. Patients attend treatment at least 5 days per week for around 6 hours per day but go home at night.
- Aftercare: Aftercare is a term used to describe any type of care received following treatment for SUD, such as ongoing therapy or 12-step meetings like A.A. Aftercare is an important part of recovery as it can provide ongoing support and resources to help maintain recovery.
Does Cigna Texas Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, Cigna should provide full or partial coverage for the cost of mental health and dual diagnosis treatment.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) includes both mental health treatment and substance use disorder (SUD) treatment in its list of 10 essential benefits.5
It’s common for those who struggle with SUD to also have a mental health disorder (e.g., anxiety, depression). When someone experiences SUD and a mental health disorder concurrently, it’s known as a dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorder.11 Dual diagnosis treatment addresses both disorders at the same time.12 Studies show that integrating treatment for both disorders provides better outcomes.12
How Long Does Cigna Texas Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
How long can you attend rehab using your Cigna coverage will depend on your plan and your doctor’s assessment of your medical needs. However, research strongly suggests that longer stays in rehab result in better long-term outcomes.13
Establishing new behaviors and habits takes time. In general, most patients will need at least 3 months of treatment to make significant long-term reductions in substance use.13
It’s a good idea to call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a Cigna representative before entering treatment. This way you’ll know exactly how much Cigna will cover.
What If Cigna Texas Doesn’t Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
You may have a specific rehab facility in mind that isn’t covered by Cigna’s provider network. Or perhaps your plan will only pay part of the cost of the private rehab facility you’re interested in. The good news is that there are other ways to pay for rehab.
For example, you might be able to set up a payment plan for the costs you’re responsible for. Some programs offer grants and scholarships or have a sliding scale of fees depending on your income.
You can also research getting a personal loan or consider borrowing money from family and friends. What’s important is that you don’t put off getting the rehab treatment you need.
In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Drug Rehab Centers
Health insurance companies have a specific network of medical providers that have agreed to care for their members at a set price.14 That means that you’ll pay less out-of-pocket when you attend rehab in Cigna’s network.14
Many insurance plans don’t offer any coverage for non-emergency care outside the network, so it’s important to research the treatment programs you’re interested in to ensure they’re part of the network for your Cigna plan.14
To keep your rehab treatment affordable, choose an in-network provider that offers the type of care you need.
How to Check Your Cigna Texas Coverage for Rehab
Finding a treatment facility can feel overwhelming but knowing in advance what your Cigna Texas insurance will cover can give you peace of mind and make the process easier. The good news is, it’s simple to check your coverage. To learn about your specific coverage in Texas or out of state, contact an admissions navigator at or fill out the form below.
Which Rehab Centers Take Cigna Texas?
- AdCare Rhode Island: AdCare Rhode Island has inpatient and outpatient facilities throughout the state to better serve the community. The inpatient and outpatient treatment facilities offer several services including detox, IOP, PHP, co-occurring disorder treatment, and telehealth.
- Recovery First Treatment Center: Located in Hollywood, Florida, Recovery First offers various services including detox, inpatient and outpatient programs, IOP, PHP, co-occurring disorder treatment, and aftercare support.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House offers individualized addiction treatment including detox, co-occurring disorder treatment, cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), and more.
Recovery isn’t easy, but with the help of rehab treatment, it’s possible. Treatment will provide you with the tools and support you need to live a substance-free life. American Addiction Centers (AAC) is committed to helping those struggling break the cycle of addiction. Our admissions navigators are available now at to hear your story and help you with the admissions process once you’re ready.