Health Net (Ambetter) of California: Detox & Rehab Centers in CA That Take Ambetter
Ambetter is a health insurance provider offering affordable plans through the Health Insurance Marketplace. In California, Ambetter is branded as Health Net of California and provides healthcare coverage to millions of residents throughout the state. Depending on your specific plan, you may be able to use your Health Net coverage to cover some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment, including medical detox, inpatient and outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment.
If you’re a California resident struggling with substance use, you’re not alone. In 2016, approximately:1
- 9% (2.7 million) of Californians met the criteria for a past-year substance use disorder.
- 6% (2.1 million) of Californians met the criteria for a past-year alcohol use disorder.
- 3% (1.1 million) of Californians met the criteria for a past-year illicit drug use disorder.
There is an apparent need for addiction treatment in California and throughout the U.S., but the good news is, help is available. While recovery looks different for everyone, it often involves detox and rehab. As a Health Net member, you may be able to receive full or partial coverage for addiction treatment at a rehab in California or out of state.
What Is Health Net (Ambetter) of California?
Ambetter from Health Net of California provides healthcare coverage to millions of members throughout the state. Specifically, 1 in 12 Californians, or about 3 million people, are covered by a Health Net plan.2 The insurance provider is committed to providing affordable, quality healthcare, including access to behavioral health services and substance use programs.2 Health Net provides plans for individuals and families, small and large businesses, as well as Medicare and Medi-Cal.3
Does Health Net (Ambetter) of California Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, your Health Net of California plan should cover some, if not all, of the cost of rehab and other addiction treatment at a facility in California or out of state.
Although there will be differences in coverage depending on your specific plan, all Health Net plans are required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), a federal healthcare law, to cover mental and behavioral health services.4 This includes treatment for substance use disorder (SUD), inpatient mental and behavioral health, and behavioral health treatment services (e.g., therapy programs), in some capacity.4 This means that your Health Net plan may be able to cover at least some of the cost of rehab at a facility in California or out of state.
Beyond the ACA’s essential health benefits mandate, all Ambetter plans (including Health Net of California) include coverage for:5
- Mental health and substance use services.
- Preventive and wellness services.
- Maternity and newborn care.
- Pediatric services.
- Hospitalization coverage and prescription drug coverage.
- Telehealth services.
It’s important to note that not every plan covers the same services at the same level of coverage. To avoid surprise medical bills, it’s a good idea to call the number on the back of your insurance card and talk to a representative to learn more about what your specific plan covers.
You can also contact American Addiction Centers (AAC) by to speak to an admissions navigator. AAC is in-network with Ambetter and may provide full or partial coverage at one of our facilities. Our admissions navigators can answer questions you may have about treatment options, verify your insurance, and help you with the admissions process when you’re ready.
What Substance Addiction Does Health Net (Ambetter) of California Cover?
What exactly your Health Net of California plan covers will vary depending upon your plan. However, it may cover some or all of the costs associated with addiction treatment for common substances like alcohol, cocaine, crystal meth, heroin, marijuana, opioids, and prescription drugs. Be sure to verify the details of your specific plan to learn exactly what will be covered.
What Types of Addiction Treatment Does Health Net (Ambetter) of California Cover?
There is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to addiction treatment. The treatment you receive will depend on your unique needs and what your doctor deems medically necessary. What’s covered by Health Net of California will depend on your specific plan. However, per the Affordable Care Act (ACA), your plan will cover the cost of substance use disorder (SUD) treatment in some capacity.
Some common types of addiction treatment that your Health Net plan may cover include:6, 7
- Detox programs: Not all patients will require detox, but for many, it’s an important first step. Detox is the process in which the body rids itself of substances, such as drugs or alcohol. Because detox can cause unpleasant and potentially dangerous side effects, the detox process is often managed with medication in a medically-supervised setting.
- Inpatient treatment programs: Inpatient treatment programs vary but involve patients living at a facility to receive around-the-clock care for days, weeks, months, or longer. Patients typically participate in a variety of individual and group therapies to examine damaging behaviors and patterns.
- Outpatient treatment programs: Outpatient treatment programs allow patients to live at home and attend treatment at a facility during the day. This may be a step-down following an inpatient treatment program or recommended for patients with a less severe substance use disorder.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): IOPs are similar to outpatient treatment programs but are more structured. Treatment generally involves a required number of treatment hours per week.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): PHPs are similar to inpatient treatment programs in that they involve patients attending intensive treatment full-time but allow them to return home in the evening. Patients typically attend treatment 5 or more days per week for up to 6 hours per day.
- Aftercare: Aftercare is any type of follow-up treatment after rehab is completed. This can include ongoing therapy and 12-step meetings like A.A. and N.A.
Does Health Net (Ambetter) of California Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, per the Affordable Care Act (ACA), your Health Net of California plan should cover mental health and dual diagnosis treatment in some capacity.
Dual diagnosis is a term used to describe when a patient experiences a mental health disorder (e.g., anxiety, depression) and substance use disorder (SUD) at the same time, also known as a co-occurring disorder.8 Co-occurring disorders are common, affecting 9.2 million adults in the U.S.8 Researchers have found that approximately 50% of those who experience SUD in their lifetime will also experience a mental health disorder and vice versa.8
Common mental health disorders that occur alongside SUD include:8
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Bipolar disorder.
- Personality disorder.
Dual diagnosis treatment integrates treatment for each condition concurrently, which can help patients recover from both disorders in the same setting at the same time. Research suggests that treating both disorders together is the most effective treatment path.9
How to Check Your Health Net (Ambetter) of California Coverage for Rehab
Finding the right detox or rehab facility can feel overwhelming, but knowing in advance what your Health Net of California insurance will cover can make the process smoother. You can check your coverage at an American Addiction Centers (AAC) rehab facility in California or out of state in 2 easy ways:
- Contact an AAC admissions navigator at if you aren’t ready to call. You can share your story and get the information you need on treatment.
- Fill out the short form below to check what your Health Net plan covers.
Which Rehab Centers Take Health Net (Ambetter) of California?
The Health Net of California network is vast and includes 85,000 network providers.2 This means that there are likely in-network rehab centers near you that take Health Net plans. American Addiction Centers (AAC) is also an in-network provider with Ambetter and has facilities across the U.S. that accept this insurance. If the below treatment centers are not in-network for you, you can use the AAC directory and filter by “insurance” to locate in-network facilities nearby.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: This facility, located in Las Vegas, Nevada, provides a variety of services, including medical detox, inpatient treatment, outpatient treatment, telehealth, IOPs, and PHPs. It also has a specialized program for first responders and veterans.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: This facility is located in Texas and has 2 campuses, 1 in Grand Prairie and 1 in Arlington. Across the 2 campuses, patients can receive inpatient and outpatient services as well as aftercare.
- Oxford Treatment Center: This facility, located in Mississippi, also comprises 2 locations, 1 in Etta and 1 in Oxford. This facility offers several treatments including horse riding and music and art therapy.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida, this luxury facility offers a holistic approach to treatment, as well as standard treatments like medical detox, inpatient, and outpatient services.
- Recovery First Treatment Center: This Florida treatment center, located in Hollywood, about 10 miles from the beach, provides IOP and aftercare services in a calm and serene setting.
To learn more about your recovery options and what your Health Net plan may cover, contact one of our admissions navigators at today. Together, we’ll help you find the right path to recovery.