Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Virginia: Rehabs in VA that Take Anthem
With a beautiful coast along the Atlantic Ocean and many important historical monuments, Virginia is a great place to visit and live.1 More than 8.6 million people live in Virginia, and the capital of this increasingly urbanized state is Richmond.1
Unfortunately, many Virginians struggle with addiction to drugs and alcohol (substance use disorders). Approximately 2.8% (or 195,000) of Virginia residents report being dependent on or misusing illicit drugs, and 5.1% (or 357,000) report being dependent on or misusing alcohol.2 On a single day in March 2019, 25,609 people were enrolled in substance use treatment in Virginia.2 And 57.5% of these people were being treated for drug addiction, 12% for alcohol addiction, and 30.5% received rehab treatment for both alcohol and drug addiction.2
If you live in Virginia and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) Virginia is your health insurance provider, at least some of the costs of drug and alcohol rehab addiction treatment should be covered by your health insurance plan. Detox, inpatient, outpatient , and long-term residential treatment programs may be covered by your Anthem BCBS Virginia health plan.3
To learn about your Anthem BCBS of Virginia coverage for addiction treatment, call the number on the back of your insurance card. A customer service representative can walk you through the details of your plan and let you know what rehab treatments are covered and what you may expect to pay out of pocket.
What Is Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Virginia?
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is the trade name of Anthem Health Plans of Virginia, Inc.4 Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.5 Anthem BCBS Virginia provides a wide range of medical, life, and disability insurance benefits, as well as dental, vision, and behavioral health coverage benefits.5
Anthem BCBS understands that health connects us to each other.5 They are “dedicated to delivering better care to our members, providing greater value to our customers and helping improve the health of our communities.”5
Does Anthem Cover Rehab Treatment in Virginia?
Yes, thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all health insurance providers in the United States are mandated to provide at least partial coverage for substance use disorder (SUD) treatments.6 The ACA designates treatment for substance use disorders and other mental health disorders as essential benefits.6 This means that you can access rehab treatment for addiction to drugs and alcohol with the understanding that your insurance plan will at least partially cover the costs of any treatment you receive.
The amount of coverage your Anthem BCBS Virginia plan provides depends on the specific plan you have. Your plan may have a deductible that must be met before insurance coverage kicks in and/or you may be responsible for paying copays for certain treatments.
Anthem BCBS of Virginia offers a care management program for members with SUD.7 This program is meant to assist you and your loved ones as you navigate accessing addiction rehab treatment. The program will also help you set health goals and work with you to create a care plan that fits your lifestyle and needs.7
Anthem BCBS Virginia works collaboratively with care providers (e.g., rehab facilities) to meet the needs of members living with substance use and mental health disorders.7 As an Anthem BCBS Virginia member, you can access rehab and other addiction treatments without requiring a referral from your primary healthcare provider.7
AAC has a wide network of rehab facilities located throughout the United States. While there is not a local AAC substance use facility in Virginia, there are several facilities in nearby states, including River Oaks Treatment Center and Oxford Treatment Center, that may accept Anthem BCBS Virginia insurance plans.
To learn more about AAC rehab facilities or verify your insurance coverage, call us at to speak with an admissions navigator. We’ll answer your questions, verify your insurance, and provide all the information you need to make an informed decision about addiction treatments.
What Types of Substance Addiction Does Rehab Treatment Cover?
Anthem BCBS of Virginia is mandated by the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) to provide the same level of benefits for mental health and substance use treatments in the same way medical and surgical care is covered.8
This means that Anthem BCBS Virginia will cover at least some of the costs of rehab treatment to addiction for many substances, which may include alcohol, marijuana, heroin, opioids, crystal meth, and prescription drugs. The amount of coverage provided depends on the specific rehabilitation plan you have.
What Rehab Programs Does Anthem BCBS Virginia Cover?
There are many different types of addiction treatments available. The type of rehab treatment you access will be a matter of personal preference and your specific needs. Factors you may want to consider when deciding what type of treatment to access may include the substances you are using, how long you have been using, and whether you have other mental health conditions that also require treatment.
Common types of addiction treatment that may be covered by your Anthem BCBS Virginia plan include:3
- Medication-assisted detoxification. This type of detox program involves the administration of prescription medications to help you withdraw from alcohol and drugs safely and comfortably. It is meant to help you prepare for the next step, which may be inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient/residential rehab. This is addiction treatment in a residential setting. You will live at the rehab facility for a set period of time (e.g., 3 months) and attend individual and group addiction therapy programs to help you learn about addiction and healthy coping mechanisms to prevent relapse.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Similar in structure to inpatient programs, partial hospitalization programs involve attending treatment at a facility 5 days a week for 4-6 hours each day. You will live at home while in a PHP.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). Attending an intensive outpatient program typically involves attending treatment several days a week for 3-4 hours each day. You can live at home in an IOP.
- Outpatient treatment. Outpatient programs generally let you attend to work and family responsibilities during the day and attend treatment in the evening. You will live at home while attending an outpatient program.
- Aftercare. Once you have completed an inpatient or outpatient treatment program, you may opt for aftercare. The ongoing support from peers and professionals can help you prevent relapse and support long-term recovery.
Does Anthem in VA Cover Mental Health and Dual Diagnosis Rehab Treatment?
Yes, Anthem BCBS Virginia should cover at least a portion of the costs of any mental health and substance use disorder treatments you access. This is mandated by the ACA, which was enacted in 2010.6
Some people with SUDs may also have a mental health disorder. If you have an SUD and a mental health condition such as anxiety, depression, and/or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), this is known as “dual diagnosis.”9
Research shows that many people with a dual diagnosis turn to drugs and/or alcohol as a form of “self-medication” to reduce symptoms of existing mental health struggles.9 However, drugs and alcohol often end up making mental health symptoms worse.9
Rehab facilities throughout the country provide dual diagnosis treatments, with the aim of improving both conditions to support your sobriety, mental health, and well-being. Using an integrated, comprehensive approach, these facilities treat both conditions together. Your Anthem BCBS Virginia plan should cover at least some of the costs of these treatments.
Which Rehab Centers in Virginia Take Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance?
Anthem BCBS Virginia members have access to a large network of healthcare providers in Virginia and other states that accept Anthem BCBS insurance policies. If you are looking for evidence-based addiction treatment at a reputable rehab facility, AAC is here to help. With top-tier facilities throughout the nation, there is a good chance you will find a rehab facility that meets your needs.
AAC facilities that may accept Anthem BCBS Virginia plans include:
- AdCare Rhode Island. A wide variety of high-quality addiction treatments, including detox and various therapy types, are available at 4 locations in Rhode Island.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center. Escape to Las Vegas, Nevada, to access individualized addiction treatment at these premier facilities.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center. Rehabilitation treatment programs for drugs and/or alcohol addiction are available at this Dallas, Texas, facility that offers a large menu of therapy options.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital. Located near the beautiful Laguna Beach in California, this supportive environment provides a variety of individualized addiction treatments.
- Oxford Treatment Center. This is a serene, natural environment where you can get the addiction care, treatment, and support you need in Etta, Mississippi.
- River Oaks Treatment Center. Located near Tampa, Florida, this treatment facility has everything you are looking for in an addiction treatment program at a leading facility with advanced accreditations.
If you wish to receive treatment at an AAC facility that is not in-network with BCBS Virginia, use the facility directory and filter by “insurance” to find in-network facilities. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs.
How to Check My Anthem Coverage for Rehab in Virginia
Finding a rehab treatment facility can feel overwhelming but knowing in advance what your Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage, contact one of AAC’s admissions navigators at . You can also fill out the form below to instantly check how your insurance plan may share the cost of treatment at an American Addiction Centers facility.
Recommended Insurance and Finance Related Articles
- Does Health Insurance Cover Rehab?
- How To Get Into Rehab Without Insurance
- How To Pay For Rehab Without Insurance
- Alcohol Rehab Without Insurance
- Does Insurance Cover Sober Living?
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment Centers That Accept Insurance
- Does Medicaid Pay For Rehab?
- Financial Assistance for Addiction Rehab
- Does Insurance Cover Suboxone?
- Does VA Cover Inpatient Rehab?
- State Funded Rehab Near Me
- Free Drug and Alcohol Rehab Near Me
- Affordable Rehab Centers Near Me
- Britannica. (n.d.). Virginia.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Behavioral Health Barometer Virginia, Volume 6.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield. (2022). Supporting Your Journey To Recovery.
- Anthem. (2013). HCA Virginia Health System to Be Preferred Provider for Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance Exchange Plans.
- Anthem. (n.d.). About Anthem.
- Healthcare.gov. (n.d.). Mental Health and Substance Abuse Coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. (n.d.). Substance Use Disorder.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2020, September 1). Does Insurance Cover Treatment for Opioid Addiction?
- National Institute of Mental Health. (n.d.) Substance Use and Co-Occurring Mental Health Disorders.