If you or your loved one are living in California and struggling with substance use disorder, you don’t have to go through it alone. Treatments for addiction are available in the state, including inpatient and outpatient rehab. Many worry the cost of rehab will be a barrier to seeking treatment, but if you have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of California (Anthem BCBS California) health insurance, at least some of your drug and alchohol addiction treatment costs should be covered by your plan. This includes detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment programs.4
Check Your Policy Coverage
With the form below you can quickly and privately check your insurance benefits to see if you're covered for addiction treatment services. We'll be able to tell you if your policy is in-network at an American Addiction Centers location.
How to Check My Anthem Coverage for Rehab in California
Finding a treatment facility can feel overwhelming, but knowing in advance what your BCBS insurance will cover can give you peace of mind. The good news is, checking your coverage is easy. To learn about your specific coverage, contact one of our admissions navigators at , click here, or fill out the form above.
What Is Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of California?
Anthem BCBS California is a health insurance organization that provides financial coverage for members who access healthcare services and treatments. With over 8.6 million members in California, Anthem BCBS California is the largest health insurance carrier in the state.5
Founded in 1936, Anthem BCBS California is a subsidiary of Anthem Inc. and an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, a federation of 35 independent, locally operated BCBS companies that deliver health insurance coverage across all 50 states.5,6
Anthem BCBS California offers a wide variety of plans at different price levels, so members can find the plan that is the right fit. Anthem boasts a broad provider network for members to access care, with over 65,000 care providers in-network in California.5
Does Anthem Cover Rehab Treatment in California?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that all health insurance companies must provide at least partial coverage for substance use disorder treatments.7 Under this law, substance use disorders and other mental health disorders must be treated as essential health benefits.7
The specific Anthem BCBS California plan you have determines the amount of coverage provided for accessing rehab and other addiction treatments. Depending on your plan, you may have deductibles and copays that you are responsible for paying when accessing healthcare, including rehab.
Anthem BCBS California has a care management program for members with substance use disorder.8 This program will help you or your loved one better understand and manage your addiction, help you set health goals, access treatment, and create a care plan that fits your lifestyle.8
Anthem BCBS California works collaboratively with care providers (e.g., hospitals, rehab facilities) to meet the needs of members living with substance use and mental health disorders.9 As an Anthem member, you can access rehab and other addiction treatments without a referral from Anthem.9
If you’re looking for a treatment facility close to home, American Addiction Center’s Laguna Treatment Hospital in Orange County, CA is a local substance use rehab facility that may accept Anthem BCBS California insurance plans.
What Substance Addiction Does Rehab Treatment Cover?
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) requires health insurers—including Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of California—to provide the same level of benefits for mental health and substance use treatments and services as for medical and surgical care.10
The percentage of treatment costs covered by your insurance plan will depend on the specific plan you have. Your plan may provide coverage for treating substance use disorder for many substances, including:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about what your plan covers. Or call us at to speak with an admissions navigator who will verify your insurance and discuss treatment options.
What Rehab Programs Does Anthem BCBS of California Cover?
There are many types of treatments available. The treatment(s) you access will depend on your specific needs and lifestyle. Factors that may help you decide which type of treatment to access include the substances you are using, how long you’ve been using, and whether you have other mental health conditions that also require treatment.
Addiction treatments that may be covered by your Anthem BCBS California plan include:4
- Detox. Evidence-based treatment that uses prescription medically assisted detox program to help you safely and comfortably withdraw from drugs and alcohol. This is the first step of treatment and prepares you to transition to the next phase, such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
- Inpatient/residential. Treatment is provided in an inpatient residential Individual and group therapy are integral parts of inpatient rehab, along with learning the root of addiction and healthy coping mechanisms to support your ongoing sobriety.
- Partial hospitalization. Similar in structure to inpatient programs, partial hospitalization programs allow you to live at home while in treatment. You will attend treatment approximately 5 days per week, for 4-6 hours a day.
- Intensive outpatient. Treatment takes place in a facility (e.g., rehab facility, hospital) where you will attend treatment several days a week for 3-4 hours a day. You can live at home while attending intensive outpatient programs.
- Outpatient. The structure and time commitment of outpatient programs vary, but all allow you to live at home. Many hold treatment programs in the evenings, giving you the opportunity to attend to work and family responsibilities in the daytime hours.
- Ongoing support is provided to individuals who have completed a treatment program, such as inpatient or outpatient rehab. This transitional care helps provide support and structure to help prevent relapse and support long-term recovery.
Does Anthem in CA Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, Anthem BCBS of California should cover some, if not all, mental health and substance use disorder treatments, as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).7
Research shows that approximately 50% of individuals with an SUD also have a co-occurring mental health disorder (e.g., anxiety, depression). 11 This is referred to as “dual diagnosis.”
If you have a dual diagnosis, treating both conditions at the same time is an approach that can help you in your recovery. Studies show that people with a mental health disorder often turn to drugs and/or alcohol as a form of self-medication.11 Using drugs and alcohol can result in worsening mental health over time.11
Many drug rehabs in California and throughout the country offer treatment for those with a dual diagnosis. These facilities use an integrated, comprehensive approach to treat both substance use disorder and any other mental health conditions at the same time. Your Anthem BCBS California plan should at least partially cover your dual diagnosis treatments.
Which Rehab Centers In California Take Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance?
As an Anthem BCBS California member, you have access to a large network of healthcare providers throughout the country, including rehab centers.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is a renowned industry leader in addiction treatment with premium rehab facilities throughout the country. Whether you want to stay close to home or travel to a neutral environment to recover, AAC facilities throughout the country may accept Anthem BCBS California insurance, including these top-tier facilities.
- AdCare Rhode Island. AdCare provides evidence-based addiction treatment and care in a high-quality, supportive environment.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center. Located in Las Vegas, Desert Hope Treatment Center offers a high level of care coupled with individualized treatment plans to address addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center. This Dallas, Texas-based treatment center has a wide variety of addiction treatment services and individualized treatment plans for those with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital. Laguna Treatment Hospital in Orange County, California, has high-quality addiction treatment and care in a supportive environment with staff available for care and support.
- Oxford Treatment Center. This is a serene, calming environment located in Etta, Mississippi, that provides high-quality drug and alcohol addiction treatments.
- River Oaks Treatment Center. With advanced accreditations and professional staff, this treatment facility based in Riverview, Florida, will provide the highest level of care while you are in treatment for addiction.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center. A premier addiction center in Lafayette, New Jersey, that provides a comprehensive continuum of care and individual treatment plans.
If any of these American Addiction Centers facilities are not in-network with your insurance provider, our user-friendly rehab directory can filter by “insurance” to find in-network facilities. There are rehabs near me that can help you find the treatment you need in California or state-wide. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs.
Recommended Insurance and Finance Related Articles
- Does Health Insurance Cover Rehab?
- How To Get Into Rehab Without Insurance
- How To Pay For Rehab Without Insurance
- Alcohol Rehab Without Insurance
- Does Insurance Cover Sober Living?
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment Centers That Accept Insurance
- Does Medicaid Pay For Rehab?
- Financial Assistance for Addiction Rehab
- Does Insurance Cover Suboxone?
- Does VA Cover Inpatient Rehab?
- State Funded Rehab Near Me
- Free Drug and Alcohol Rehab Near Me
- Affordable Rehab Centers Near Me
- United States Census. (2019). California.
- California.com (2020). The 31 California Fun Facts You’ll Wish You Knew Sooner.
- California Health Care Foundation. (2018). California Health Almanac.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield. (2022). Supporting Your Journey To Recovery.
- Anthem Blue Cross. (2022). Anthem Blue Cross Health Insurance Coverage.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield. (2022). BCBS Companies and Licensees.
- Healthcare.gov. (n.d.). Mental Health and Substance Abuse Coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. (n.d.). Substance Use Disorder.
- Anthem Blue Cross. (2021). Behavioral Health.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). Does Insurance Cover Treatment for Opioid Addiction?
- National Institute of Mental Health. (n.d.) Substance Use and Co-Occurring Mental Health Disorders.