An SUD (addiction) is a public health and safety concern in Kentucky, as the number of Kentuckians who die from drug overdoses continues to climb annually.4 Addiction has a tremendous impact on individuals, families, and communities, but it doesn’t have to be this way. Addiction treatment programs and rehab facilities are available in Kentucky and throughout the United States to help provide treatment and support to people struggling with substance use disorder.
If Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Kentucky (Anthem BCBS Kentucky) is your health insurance provider, at least some of the costs of drug and alcohol addiction treatment should be covered by your health insurance plan. Your Anthem BCBS Kentucky health plan may help pay for a variety of addiction treatments, including detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment programs.5
Kentucky and Substance Abuse
Kentucky is in the south-central region of the United States. Home to over 4.5 million people, the capital is Frankfort, which is located between two of the state’s major cities, Louisville and Lexington.1,2 Kentucky is known for college basketball, coal mining, horse racing, and bluegrass music.3 If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol, you are not alone. Approximately 7.5% of Kentucky residents (279,000 individuals) report having a substance use disorder (SUD), and 5% of Kentucky residents (187,000 individuals) report having an alcohol use disorder (AUD).4
What is Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Kentucky?
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is the trade name of Anthem Health Plans of Kentucky, Inc.6 Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, a national federation of 35 independent community-based and locally operated BCBS companies that provide healthcare coverage for 1 in 3 Americans.7
Anthem BCBS Kentucky offers a wide range of coverage for medical care for its members, including medical, dental, vision, and behavioral health coverage. The company also offers life and disability insurance benefits to members.8
Anthem BCBS’s mission is “Improving lives and communities. Simplifying Healthcare. Expecting more.”9 Today, Anthem BCBS serves over 117 million Americans, including more than 45 million members utilizing its family of health plans.9
Does Anthem Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab Treatment in Kentucky?
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kentucky does help cover addiction treatment in Kentucky for residents. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) states that treatment for substance use disorder is one of the 10 essential benefits.10
This means the ACA mandates that all health insurance companies in the United States must provide at least partial coverage for members accessing SUD treatments.10 This means that anyone with private health insurance can access addiction treatment knowing that insurance plans will partially or fully cover the costs of treatment, including rehab.
Exactly how much of the treatment costs are covered by your Anthem BCBS Kentucky plan depends on the specific insurance plan you have. You may be responsible for paying some out-of-pocket expenses, such as meeting your plan’s deductible or paying co-pays for certain treatments.
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kentucky offers a care management program for members with SUDs.11 The program is designed to help you better understand and manage your substance use disorder, help you set health goals, access addiction treatment, and create a care plan that fits your lifestyle.11
What Substances Are Treated at Addiction Rehab?
If you have an SUD, your plan may provide coverage for treating addiction to many substances, including:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to ask about what your plan covers for addiction treatments.
What Rehab Programs does Anthem BCBS Kentucky Cover?
There are a wide variety of modalities and treatments for addiction. The type of treatment you access depends on your personal preferences and specific needs. Before you select a certain treatment program, you may want to consider which substances you are using, how long you’ve been using, and whether you have other mental health conditions that require treatment.
The different types of addiction treatment that may be covered by your Anthem BCBS Kentucky plan include:5
- Medically assisted detoxification: Detox is the process of withdrawing from alcohol and drugs. Typically the first step before transitioning to another program (e.g., inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab), detox often uses prescription medications to help you comfortably withdraw from substances while being monitored by medical staff to ensure your safety.
- Inpatient/residential: Provided in a residential setting, you will live at the rehab facility for a set period of time. Individual and group therapy are offered to help you get to the root of your addiction, understand addiction and how it impacts your brain and body, and help you learn healthy coping mechanisms to support your long-term recovery.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): PHP is similar in structure to inpatient programming, but you can live at home while in this type of treatment. You will attend treatment at a facility (e.g., rehab, clinic, hospital) 5 days a week for approximately 4-6 hours per day.
- Outpatient: Outpatient options vary, but most allow you to live at home and work throughout the day and attend the treatment program in the evening.
- Intensive outpatient: More time-intensive than traditional outpatient programming, IOP programs allow you to live at home but require you to attend treatment 4-6 days a week for 3-4 hours per day.
- Aftercare: As a way of providing ongoing support in your recovery, aftercare programs offer peer and professional support and counseling to prevent relapse and help you transition to living in the community.
Does Anthem in KY Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, Anthem BCBS Kentucky provides at least partial coverage for mental health and dual diagnosis treatments. The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) requires health insurance companies to provide benefits for mental health and substance use treatments in the same way coverage is provided for medical and surgical care.12
Research shows that nearly 50% of individuals with an SUD also have a co-occurring mental health disorder (e.g., anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder).13 This is known as a dual diagnosis. While this percentage may seem high, the truth is that many people with mental health conditions turn to alcohol and/or drugs as a way of “self-medicating.”13 While this may seem like a temporary solution, drug and alcohol use can worsen mental health conditions and may be more harmful than helpful.
Rehab facilities throughout the country offer treatments for individuals with dual diagnoses. These facilities use evidence-based and integrated therapy approaches to treat substance use disorders and other mental health disorders at the same time with the aim of preventing relapse and supporting recovery and long-term wellness.
Which Rehab Centers In Kentucky Take Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance?
As an Anthem BCBS Kentucky member, you have access to a large network of healthcare providers in Kentucky and other states that accept your insurance policy.
Whether you’re looking for addiction treatment close to home or prefer to travel elsewhere, American Addiction Centers (AAC) has top-notch facilities throughout the country. Our facilities offer individualized treatment plans and evidence-based care.
AAC facilities that may accept Anthem BCBS Kentucky plans include:
- AdCare Rhode Island: With 3 locations in Rhode Island, these facilities offer a vast array of addiction treatments, including detox, inpatient rehab, and outpatient rehab.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: This premier facility in Las Vegas, Nevada, offers individualized addiction treatments for individuals with substance use disorder and dual diagnoses.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: A wide variety of therapy options and addiction treatments are available at this Dallas, Texas, facility.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Individualized addiction treatments, a supportive environment, and evidence-based care are provided at this Laguna Beach, California, facility.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Nestled in serene and calming Etta, Mississippi, your treatment will include strategies and support services to help you address addiction and develop skills for your recovery.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: This facility in Tampa, Florida, boasts advanced accreditations and individualized treatment plans to ensure you get the treatment and support you need.
Insurance Providers and Rehab Treatment Coverage Levels
Finding Treatment Near You
Looking for a rehab facility close to home? American Addiction Centers has a vast network of rehab facilities located throughout the United States. While there isn’t a local AAC facility in Kentucky, there are facilities in nearby states, including Greenhouse Treatment Center in Dallas, Texas, and Oxford Treatment Center in Mississippi that may accept Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Kentucky insurance plans.
To learn more about AAC rehab facilities or inquire about your insurance coverage at an AAC facility, call us at . Our admissions navigators are available 24/7 and they can verify your insurance coverage and provide all of the information you need to get your journey to sobriety started.
- United States Census. (2021). Kentucky.
- Britannica. (n.d.). Kentucky.
- Key Data. (2021). Kentucky facts.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Behavioral health barometer Kentucky, volume 6.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield. (n.d.). Supporting your journey to recovery.
- Anthem. (n.d.). About Anthem.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield. (2017). Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Kentucky Medicaid receives multicultural health care distinction from the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- Anthem. (n.d.). Company history.
- Anthem. (n.d.). Corporate fact sheet.
- Healthcare.gov. Mental health and substance abuse coverage.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. (n.d.). Substance use disorder.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). Does insurance cover treatment for opioid addiction?
- National Institute of Mental Health. (n.d.) Substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders.