Cigna Rhode Island: Detox & Rehab Centers in RI That Take Cigna
Cigna is a health insurance company that offers individual, family, and group plans in several states throughout the U.S., including Rhode Island.1 Depending on your specific plan, Cigna Rhode Island should cover some, if not all, of the cost of addiction treatment, including detox, inpatient and outpatient rehab, or more long-term residential treatment programs.
Rhode Island is the smallest state in the U.S. but is home to more than 1 million residents.2 Unfortunately, many Rhode Island residents struggle with addiction.
Substance use disorder (SUD) occurs when the recurrent use of substances (e.g., alcohol, drugs) causes significant impairment, including disability and the inability to meet responsibilities at home, school, or work.3 SUD represents a significant public health crisis in Rhode Island and beyond. In 2020:4
- 8.7% (79,000) of Rhode Island residents reported a past-year substance use disorder.
- 3.1% (29,000) of Rhode Island residents reported a past-year illicit drug use disorder.
- 6.5% (59,000) of Rhode Island residents reported a past-year alcohol use disorder.
Living with addiction is difficult for individuals, families, and communities at large, but treatment is available. If you’re seeking treatment for yourself or a loved one, there are rehab centers in Rhode Island and throughout the U.S. that can help.
What is Cigna Rhode Island?
Cigna is a health services company that provides health insurance coverage to members worldwide. The organization is dedicated to improving the health, well-being, and peace of mind of its members.5
With over 1.5 million healthcare clinics, facilities, hospitals, and providers, Cigna Rhode Island members have access to a large healthcare network. More than 175,000 of the facilities and providers in Cigna’s network are dedicated to mental and behavioral healthcare, which includes substance use disorder (SUD) treatment and services.5
Does Cigna Rhode Island Cover Rehab Treatment?
Yes, Cigna Rhode Island provides coverage for addiction treatment, including inpatient and outpatient rehab.6
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates health insurance providers that offer plans on the Marketplace must provide coverage for 10 essential healthcare benefits, one of which is mental health and substance use disorder (SUD) treatment and services.7
The ACA was designed to protect consumers’ financial health when accessing healthcare services. The law helps individuals and families access affordable, comprehensive healthcare, including treatment and services for SUD.7
As a Cigna Rhode Island member, you can rely on your insurance plan to cover at least some of the costs associated with addiction treatment, although the amount Cigna covers will depend on the specific plan you have.
Before you begin treatment, it’s a good idea to understand what your Cigna plan covers. This way you can prepare for any potential out-of-pocket costs you will be responsible for paying.
You can call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a Cigna representative. They’ll help you understand the details of your plan and can help you find rehab centers that are in-network with Cigna.
You can also contact American Addiction Centers (AAC) at 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our team of admissions navigators can verify your insurance, answer questions about treatment, and help you with the admissions process when you’re ready.
What Substance Addiction Does Cigna Rhode Island Cover?
If you’re a Cigna Rhode Island member struggling with substance use, you may wonder if there are specific types of substance addiction your insurance covers. Although coverage varies depending on your plan, Cigna Rhode Island may provide coverage for addiction treatment for substances such as:
- Crystal meth.
- Prescription drugs.
What Types of Addiction Treatment Does Cigna Rhode Island Cover?
Recovery looks different for everyone and there are several treatments options for individuals with substance use disorder (SUD). The type of treatment you receive will depend on your needs and preferences.
Before determining the type of treatment that’s right for you, your doctor will consider factors such as the severity of your addiction, the substance you’re using, how long you’ve been using them, if you have other mental health concerns, and more.8
Your Cigna Rhode Island plan may provide coverage for various types of addiction treatment, including:9
- Detox programs: Not all patients will require detox (the process in which the body rids itself of substances), but for many, it’s an important first step. During a medically managed detox program, you receive 24-hour medical care and supervision. Prescription medications are administered by a physician to help you go through the withdrawal process comfortably and safely. Once detox is complete, you may enter the next phase of treatment, such as inpatient rehab.
- Inpatient/residential rehab: Inpatient rehab (also referred to as residential treatment) involves patients living at a facility with access to around-the-clock care. Individual and group therapy sessions help patients better understand their addiction and triggers and teach healthy ways to cope with stress to support long-term recovery.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP): These time-intensive programs may be beneficial for those who have completed an inpatient or outpatient rehab program and need ongoing support. Patients typically attend treatment 5 to 7 days a week, 6 to 8 hours a day.
- Outpatient treatment: There are different structures to outpatient programs, but many involve attending 12-step meetings, individual and group therapy, and peer support groups. Patients can live at home while in outpatient treatment.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP): An IOP is similar to an outpatient treatment program, but with additional structure so patients attend treatment more frequently. Most IOPs involve attending treatment for 3 to 5 days each week for 3 to 4 hours at a time.
- Aftercare: An aftercare program can help individuals who have completed a more intensive treatment program, such as inpatient rehab, integrate back into day-to-day life. Aftercare programs vary in structure but can provide peer and professional support to help address challenges.
Does Cigna Rhode Island Cover Mental Health & Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Yes, Cigna Rhode Island provides coverage for mental health and dual diagnosis treatment, as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).7
Mental health and substance use disorder (SUD) treatment and services are included in the ACA’s 10 essential health benefits, and insurance providers are required to provide at least partial coverage to members who access these benefits.7
“Dual diagnosis” is the term used when a person has a mental health condition and SUD at the same time. Though mental health conditions do not cause SUD (and vice versa), the two conditions can worsen the other when left untreated.10
Nearly half of all individuals with SUD also have a co-occurring mental health disorder, such as:11
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Bipolar disorder.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Sometimes people with untreated mental health conditions turn to drugs and alcohol as a way of self-medicating.10 Unfortunately, this can worsen symptoms. Research suggests that it’s better to treat both conditions together rather than separately.10
Many rehabs in Rhode Island and across the U.S. treat individuals with a dual diagnosis using comprehensive, evidence-based treatments.
How Long Does Cigna Rhode Island Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
The length of time you stay in inpatient alcohol and drug rehab will depend on several factors, including the severity of your addiction and the level of care you need. Your healthcare provider may recommend you stay in an inpatient program for anywhere from days to weeks to months, depending on the level of support you need.
Research suggests that those who stay in treatment for 3 months or longer may experience better long-term outcomes.12 The extent of your Cigna Rhode Island insurance coverage depends on the specific plan you have. There are several different types of policies and tiers of coverage, and each plan has guidelines on coverage amounts and time limitations for inpatient rehab.
You can call the number on the back of your insurance card or look up your plan details on Cigna’s online member portal to learn more about how long your plan will provide coverage for inpatient rehab.
What if Cigna Rhode Island Doesn’t Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Whenever possible, it’s a good idea to choose a rehab facility that is in-network with your Cigna Rhode Island plan, which can help save you money on the cost of treatment.
As a Cigna member, you have access to a vast network of in-network healthcare providers, including rehab centers and addiction treatment facilities. These centers and facilities meet certain credentialing requirements set by Cigna and have an agreement with the insurance provider to offer services to members at a discounted rate.13
If you attend a rehab center that is out-of-network with Cigna, you may be responsible for paying the full price for treatments you receive. Depending on the plan you have, your Cigna plan may cover some of these expenses, but you will end up paying a much larger portion of the costs.13
Even if your Cigna Rhode Island health insurance plan provides comprehensive coverage, you may still have out-of-pocket costs for addiction treatment. The good news is, there are several ways to cover the cost of rehab including:
- Financing options.
- Grants and scholarships.
- Sliding scales.
What’s most important is getting into treatment when you’re ready. Finances should never be a barrier to getting the care you need. Contact the rehab facilities you are considering today to ask about financing or payment plan arrangements that may be available to you.
How to Check Your Cigna Rhode Island Coverage for Rehab
Knowing ahead of time what your Cigna Rhode Island plan will cover can give you peace of mind as you search for a treatment facility. To learn about your specific coverage in Rhode Island or out of state, you can:
- Contact American Addiction Centers at and speak with an admissions navigator. You’ll be able to share your story, discuss treatment options, and start the admissions process when you’re ready.
- Fill out the form below to check what your plan covers.
Which Rehab Centers Take Cigna Rhode Island?
As a Cigna Rhode Island member, you have access to a large network of healthcare providers, including several rehab centers. Many American Addiction Centers (AAC) facilities also accept Cigna insurance, including:
- AdCare Rhode Island: Stay close to home and receive evidence-based care to help you on your journey to recovery. AdCare Rhode Island offers care and support in a tranquil environment to help you overcome your addiction.
- Recovery First Treatment Center: Need a little sunshine? Travel to Hollywood, Florida to attend rehab at Recovery First Treatment Center. A wide variety of addiction treatments are available, from detox to inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and various types of therapy.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette New Jersey, Sunrise House Treatment Center is a premier facility that provides individualized care plans and comprehensive care to support your recovery.
For more AAC rehab facilities that accept Cigna Rhode Island, use our directory tool. You can narrow your search and filter by accepted insurances, treatment type, and location to find a list of facilities that may work for you.
AAC is committed to helping you break the cycle of addiction. You can contact an admissions navigator by calling if you aren’t ready to talk. They can hear your story, discuss treatment options, and help you with the admissions process once you’re ready.