The Refuge - A Healing Place

14835 SE 85th Street, Ocklawaha, Florida, 32179
The Refuge is one of the few nationwide programs that specializes in the treatment of Trauma & PTSD. Men and women come to The Refuge to examine and heal trauma from accidents, sexual abuse, severe grief & loss, rape, and PTSD. As our residents recover from their traumas, we treat the co-occurring substance abuse, depression and anxiety, and process addictions that often occur with or because of traumatic events. Utilizing holistic and experiential methods and modalities, The Refuge encompasses a person's mind, body and spirit allowing them to Unravel the trauma story, Understand the addiction story, and Create the recovery story.

• 25 Hours Of Trauma Work Per Week On A Serene Healing Campus
  • All therapist are certified and trained in a wide variety of therapeutic methods.
  • Intense didactic and experiential family week offered every 5 weeks

• Child and Adult Sexual Abuse Treatment

Often when a young man or woman’s childhood lacks a healthy connection with a parent or family member or is sexually abused by a family member, friend or stranger, they develop a misunderstanding of the words love and sex. These young people will confuse sexual abuse, neglect or inappropriate affection for love and sex and seek these destructive behaviors in relationships later on in life. At The Refuge, we provide treatment for these behaviors by introducing clients to the correct meanings of love, sex and intimacy. Individuals that come to The Refuge suffer from some form of Trauma/PTSD that they experienced earlier on in life and Sex Addiction is one of the ways these clients cope with that Trauma/PTSD.
  • Self-Harm and Suicidal Ideation Treatment

When you come to The Refuge our assessment and treatment team will do a complete evaluation to gain further information about your symptoms to determine the most appropriate type of treatment for your specific difficulties. While individuals who suffer from depression share certain symptoms, depression comprises numerous causes, indicators, co-occurring disorders and effects. This means each person’s experience of the illness is unique and should be treated as such. The Refuge provides individualized treatment based on your your specific needs.

• Wilderness

• Judy Crane
    Judy Crane Founder & Executive Director
    Judy has over two decades of experience working in both residential and out-patient settings. In 2003 she brought her years of specialized training and her distinctive insights on treating trauma and addiction to create The Refuge-A Healing Place. Under her leadership, The Refuge has grown to become one of the foremost leaders in treating Trauma/PTSD and Addiction.
  • Douglas Davies
    Douglas Davies Director of Medical Staff
    Dr. Davies is fellowship trained in Addiction Medicine and certified by The American Board of Addiction Medicine. He serves full time as the medical director of The Refuge, leads our medical staff, and offers a no judgment, no pressure healing energy to all who cross his path. Dr. Davies is fully integrated as a key member of an exceptional team of nurses, consultant physicians and therapists.

Parti
The therapists, HM’s & Nurses were amazing. However the administrative staff was the most unprofessional, unwelcoming, uneducated “hidden behind closed doors” staff I have ever witnessed! I came to the Refuge maskless- then people were getting covid (STAFF & CLIENTS) left and right!!!! So masks went back on and administration went into panic mode and had NO PLAN IN PLACE!!! They started shuffling clients around to keep covid clients together but then NEVER CHECKED ON THEM!! They gave them one zoom link a day with spotty wifii and delivered cold food to them like they had the plague! All our programs were cut because of covid!! They say they are a 5 star Rehab but they run this place like a run-down state facility! It’s appalling!!! If you ask any of the administrative staff for anything it’s like you are bothering them! I would sit and wait 25 mins at times for medication because they were so understaffed! I actually fell through the cracks because my therapist had covid and was out for 2 weeks! I was at the Refuge for 11 days before anyone had a therapeutic plan in place for me! I had to write 3 letters to administration (which went in acknowledged), and advocate for myself before I actually got help. It was maddening! I literally had to paint my nails in front of someone 1/2 my age! This place is archaic! The rules were written in 2003 and they have not been updated since! Their first response to any question is NO! It was extremely frustrating and I found my self with high blood pressure daily! The “Ropes Course” has been broken for 2 years!!! They wouldn’t let us go canoeing because that would involve staff actually taking us!! The bed linens, bath mats and shower curtains were from 2003! It was awful!!! Their was NONE of that fluffy fun stuff that is on the website! ZERO!!! In most businesses the CEO would be walking around campus talking to clients and staff making us feel comfortable and at ease! We saw her ONCE during a community meeting and she never even introduced herself! I didn’t even know she was the CEO! Wouldn’t Judy (the Founder) like to know that! If it wasn’t for the Process groups and the wonderful Therapists and HM’s that talked to me and helped me through the process I would have high-tailed it out of that place! I would definitely look at other places before coming here!
Helen
I have never been there, my insurance company told me that it would be covered for my son. When I called they told me I would have to have $5,000 before you would be able to be admitted. Even though he has 100% coverage after his 1800 deductible. I called the insurance company they said that is wrong they are following a report.
Mark
I did not realize how much I learned until I was stable back in a home. I was given a second chance at life, how many people can say thank you. I think I just did. I learned a lot here and wished I learned more. Everyone was opened to helping. I learned many things which will help me to live a better life I wish I had before. I know there is a place that can help, maybe they can help you? They sure helped me.
Jennifer
Place was a joke. I was already sober (still am)going to this place for PTSD treatment. Bad place. Not worth the money...There are better places out there. This one is a waste.
SF
The property is the only strength, nature has a healing power all by itself sometimes. There is no rhyme or reason for their modalities, except to have clients go over their trauma over and over again, which is traumatizing in itself. My son went to this facility and he is still out there not doing great, he went there twice, so tell me how well this facility did with my son.