Stepping Stones

901 South Miller Avenue, Mitchell, South Dakota, 57301

This should not be called a treatment facility at all. I stayed there 31 days. I had never been to rehab before and did my chemical dependency assessment at my local counseling office. They recommend out patients treatment but when they found out I had private health insurance, called my counselor back and said inpatient treatment was required. When I arrived, the building is very run down, I was told it was an old hospital at one point. On the website it said there was an exercise facility. TOTAL LIE THERE IS NOTHING except a broken bike that just collects dust. 1 beat up pingpong table, and a dart board that doesn't work. People straight out of prison on a furlough or parole are sent there and are mixed in with the few people who have never been to jail let alone prison. The few alcohol/addicts that self admitted are bullied by the inmates. 90% of the clients are from jails or the prisons and they all know each other and network on what they have to do and say to get out in society, only to have a network of new criminal activity lined up for when they get out. Stepping Stones does not serve breakfast. They put out a small, dirty cart with cheerios or rice krispies. And there is 1 gallon of milk in a mini fridge. You are allowed one small bowl of cereal and a splash of milk and that is it. They do not provide sugar because the kitchen cook said they were going through too much in a week. The lunches and dinners served is not in anyway shape or form heathy. Nothing but starchy, carb loaded foods. You might get a half a glass of milk or lemonade if you're lucky. You are only allowed a half full small coffee cup and are not allowed to go back for more. You have to provide your own salt and pepper as these are not provided either. The kitchen cook is very rude to the clients and gossips about how the natives are all lazy and why does she have to deal with "these people" The EMT staff are uneducated and a few are nice and try to be supportive but there are a few EMT's who are vindictive, petty and sometimes down right sadistic. There is only 1 tv and only 1 day room with 3 crappy beat up couches. We were watching a movie, not sexually inappropriate, no drug references or anything like that. One of the EMTs told us to either put in Disney Cinderella (a cartoon) or turn off the tv because she didn't approve of the movie. We asked her what she didn't like about the movie we were watching and she screamed that we had to go in our room, the day hall was now closed and she turned off the tv. EMT'S also run the different group sessions instead of the actual counselors but they charged the counselor rate to my insurance company because the EMT name wasn't listed as the facilitator, the counselor was listed. Which to me is insurance fraud and I'm sure they bill the state funded clients the same way. EMT'S sit in on inhouse AA and NA meetings and will then talk about which client said what. There's mold in the bathrooms because of old caulk, in the wintertime the heat doesn't work. I always wore leggings, sweatpants, a long sleeve tshirt with a sweatshirt, and thick socks to bed and had 3 blankets. I still froze at night. They do not have air conditioning in the hot summer month either. I ended up making a new network of people to use with as every single person I've known from there has relapsed with in an hour-7 days of getting out. You get 1 individual counseling session a week and you never get to the trauma that led to your addiction. Group therapy is a joke and it's a waste of time. I do NOT recommend this place.