Sorenson's Ranch

410 North 100 East, Koosharem, Utah, 84744
Sorenson’s Ranch School is a residential treatment facility for teens combining therapy, experiential learning, behavior modification and education to address behavioral health issues, including drug and alcohol abuse. Treatment includes individual, group and family therapy, and a specialized equine therapy program. Additional services include life skills, relapse prevention, and anger management classes.

• We use Cognitive Behavioral, Solution Focused, Motivational Interviewing, Psychodynamic, EMDR, DBT and Family Systems.
  • Sorenson’s Ranch has been bringing horses and people together since the late 1950’s.
  • Sorenson's is a second generation family owned school with over 30 years experience helping troubled teens.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.
  • Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.

• Mountains

• Shane Sorenson
    Shane SorensonDirector/ MA Psychology
    Shane Sorenson grew-up on the ranch that is now Sorenson's Ranch School. Much of Shane's early years were spent shoeless and carefree, throwing rock at birds, riding horses bareback, swimming in the canal, and catching fish by hand. Shane began working on the ranch doing chores associated with both animals and farming. Farm chores consumed the majority of Shane's time, but still he was able to enjoy the many outdoor activities that abound. Shane had several forays into Latin America, once as a foreign exchange student, a second time as a missionary, and a third time on sabbatical traveling through most of Mexico. This experience exposed him to different cultures. Later, it inspired Shane to study at Brigham Young University. During this time he settled on psychology, while learning how little he really knew of the sciences. This piqued an interest to pursue a master's degree while earning a minor in Spanish. Shane now lives in Koosharem, Utah, with his wife, Jill, and their two younger sons. The oldest is away at college. Today, Shane is the President and Director of Sorenson's Ranch School and a farmer during the summer months.
  • Jody Brand
    Jody BrandClinicle Director/ M.PC. / LPC
    Jody Brand is a Certified Professional Counselor LPC. She grew up in Koosharem, Utah, on a farm where she raised sheep and changed sprinklers on her family's field. As an adult she moved to Ely, Nevada, for 15 years. During that time Jody worked as a teacher at a Head Start program for preschoolers with disabilities and those from low-income families. While working at Head Start Jody learned about the importance of family support systems. While pursuing a master's degree Jody worked at Sorenson's Ranch School as a case manager and group facilitator for three years, and she worked as a college student intern for one year. Jody graduated from the University of Phoenix in January 2008 with a 4.0 GPA. After graduating Jody received Certified Professional Counselor Certification and also received the National Certified Counselor certification. Jody facilitates the Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) group, which provides students with skills to assist in interpersonal relationships and regulating their emotions and impulses. Students learn skills to become more self-aware. Jody also facilitates Support Therapy group, which is a psychotherapy group for victims of sexual abuse. Jody works with students and their families and treats a variety of mental health and family issues. Jody is married and is the mother of two teenage children. Jody and her family have built a house in the Koosharem area and are enjoying the peaceful environment of living in a rural area. Jody enjoys outdoor activities including camping, photographing wildlife, and assisting her daughter in raising a few farm animals as a hobby

Andrew
I got my diploma there best time of my life honestly
Devin pedro
This pace honestly made me a lot tougher and more better in life if it weren’t for srs I wouldn’t be as successful it helped me a lot and made me a better person if it weren’t for the principal I wouldn’t of graduated hs and earn my mortuary sciences degree it’s a tough place but everyone has your best interest at heart and if it weren’t for srs I wouldn’t be successful
    I went to Sorenson's Ranch a little over a year ago. I can honestly say that they did a great job on giving me the road to change myself. Students often make comments like, "they don't care" or "they don't help at all". I can personally tell you that is not true. I was told that I was leaving about four days before I left. The problem was I was turning 18 and I was still in my junior year. The staff went out of their way to help me. Through my determination and their support, I fun she's the rest of my junior year and all of my senior year in the next three days. The bottom line hear is that if you send your kid their he/she will get the help they need, but if you get them back the same as you sent them in as, it's because they didn't want to change. So I highly recommend srs for those who need it.
    Eric
      I loved sornsons even if i had trouble there but imma come by and visit soon and tell everybody i said hi and i miss u guys and all the treatment u gave me btw my name is Eric Bradley😰😰😰 text me and stuff and i wanna find out and see how u guys doin
        I attended Sorenson’s for 4 months and have been home for 4 months now and I urge parent’s that are reading this to NOT send your child here. The way Sorenson’s portrays themselves online is completely wrong and not how this facility works. During my stay there I was kept from telling my family the truth of what happened to me while I’ll was there and struggle with PTSD from being there. When I tried to tell my parents what was going on, they told them that I was lying and put me on what is called PBI (positive behavior reinforcement) for days. No matter what the weather was like I was outside for days with no one to talk to. Of course I was fed but my meals had to be eaten outside and some days it was below freezing and we were still kept out there. The therapists are supposed to come down to talk to their kids who are on PBI, but really what it is is that only two therapists come down and they’re in a truck and would talk to us for less that 5 minutes and I was never told when I would get off PBI. I was finally able to tell my parents the truth when I got my first visit on Christmas and I was able to come home. I am doing well now and it’s not because of Sorenson’s. Please parents don’t let your kids suffer what I went through.