410 North 100 East, Koosharem, Utah, 84744
Sorenson’s Ranch School is a residential treatment facility for teens combining therapy, experiential learning, behavior modification and education to address behavioral health issues, including drug and alcohol abuse. Treatment includes individual, group and family therapy, and a specialized equine therapy program. Additional services include life skills, relapse prevention, and anger management classes.
- We use Cognitive Behavioral, Solution Focused, Motivational Interviewing, Psychodynamic, EMDR, DBT and Family Systems.
- Sorenson’s Ranch has been bringing horses and people together since the late 1950’s.
- Sorenson's is a second generation family owned school with over 30 years experience helping troubled teens.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.
Meet the Staff
- Shane SorensonDirector/ MA PsychologyShane Sorenson grew-up on the ranch that is now Sorenson's Ranch School. Much of Shane's early years were spent shoeless and carefree, throwing rock at birds, riding horses bareback, swimming in the canal, and catching fish by hand. Shane began working on the ranch doing chores associated with both animals and farming. Farm chores consumed the majority of Shane's time, but still he was able to enjoy the many outdoor activities that abound. Shane had several forays into Latin America, once as a foreign exchange student, a second time as a missionary, and a third time on sabbatical traveling through most of Mexico. This experience exposed him to different cultures. Later, it inspired Shane to study at Brigham Young University. During this time he settled on psychology, while learning how little he really knew of the sciences. This piqued an interest to pursue a master's degree while earning a minor in Spanish. Shane now lives in Koosharem, Utah, with his wife, Jill, and their two younger sons. The oldest is away at college. Today, Shane is the President and Director of Sorenson's Ranch School and a farmer during the summer months.
- Jody BrandClinicle Director/ M.PC. / LPCJody Brand is a Certified Professional Counselor LPC. She grew up in Koosharem, Utah, on a farm where she raised sheep and changed sprinklers on her family's field. As an adult she moved to Ely, Nevada, for 15 years. During that time Jody worked as a teacher at a Head Start program for preschoolers with disabilities and those from low-income families. While working at Head Start Jody learned about the importance of family support systems. While pursuing a master's degree Jody worked at Sorenson's Ranch School as a case manager and group facilitator for three years, and she worked as a college student intern for one year. Jody graduated from the University of Phoenix in January 2008 with a 4.0 GPA. After graduating Jody received Certified Professional Counselor Certification and also received the National Certified Counselor certification. Jody facilitates the Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) group, which provides students with skills to assist in interpersonal relationships and regulating their emotions and impulses. Students learn skills to become more self-aware. Jody also facilitates Support Therapy group, which is a psychotherapy group for victims of sexual abuse. Jody works with students and their families and treats a variety of mental health and family issues. Jody is married and is the mother of two teenage children. Jody and her family have built a house in the Koosharem area and are enjoying the peaceful environment of living in a rural area. Jody enjoys outdoor activities including camping, photographing wildlife, and assisting her daughter in raising a few farm animals as a hobby