- Somatic Experiencing
- Acupuncture, Massage, Yoga
- Art and Movement Therapy
- Equine Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing - EMDR
- Balanced Naturopathic and Allopathic Medical Approach
- Sleep Lab - sleep assessments and extensive lab testing
- QEEG Brain Mapping
Family ProgramAt Sabino Recovery we understand that lasting recovery for our residents depends on the involvement of those closest to them. We invite each resident and their families to participate in our Family Program – a three-day, experiential program designed to reconnect you with your loved one. Our family program has been developed to provide family members the opportunity to gain insight into their family’s dynamics, and to support the honest and effective communication of fears, pain, and hope in a safe environment. The family program is both educational and psychodynamic. It supports you in sharing thoughts and feelings with your loved one in an honest and non-judgmental way. The program includes education about family systems as well as techniques you and your family members can use to communicate more effectively. We emphasize not assigning blame to anyone during this time but rather encourage discovery and compassionate understanding of each other through safely guided exercises. Our experience has shown that when family members experience each other with a compassionate understanding they are able to break communication and relationship patterns that have lasted for years. Research shows that the odds of successful, sustained recovery from addiction are far higher when family members and loved ones are involved in treatment. Drug and alcohol addiction often have genetic roots, whether related to substance abuse, mental illness or both. Family dynamics also play a role and, often, family members are the first to realize a loved one has developed an addiction. Also, it’s important for family members to understand and embrace the lifestyle changes that are required to sustain recovery.
Betrayal TraumaMany times those who are faced sexual and emotional betrayal by someone they have loved and trusted are deeply wounded and confused and describe it as if their life has been pulled out from underneath them. You are not to blame for this crisis. You did not cause it or create it. Throughout your journey, we are here to provide information, focus and support. We will help you learn how to take care of yourself – as it is likely that your body and brain have been affected by this trauma, and your spirit is surely damaged too. We are here to help you through the trauma, to understand how to communicate your feelings, make empowered choices, and reclaim your own sexuality. Our goal is to help you find a sense of validation knowing that many people find themselves in similar situations. It is entirely possible that you can learn to thrive and even discover gifts buried in the wounds created by sex addiction.
Emotional TraumaAt Sabino Recovery, we acknowledge that what happened in childhood or adult life may cause one to behave irrationally in the present and even to catastrophize the future. Trauma and resulting PTSD, addiction, depression, anxiety, etc. are normal reactions to an abnormal experience. By treating the core issues of trauma such as traumatic grief, traumatic shame and attachment failure, the root of the presenting problem is attended to and the individual is less likely to relapse, continue to feel depression, anxiety or have a need to medicate emotions with unhealthy behaviors such as drugs and alcohol. The model purports that if trauma issues are fully addressed then resulting symptoms also diminish, as the symptoms represent results of traumatic experience. We know that both early childhood trauma and/or adult trauma may be over-reactive and under-reactive. The result of unprocessed trauma can be seen in emotional, behavioral, and psychological extremes. Our program treats the extreme behaviors through empathy, nurturing, kindness, and compassion and targets the treatment toward the trauma roots; one by one if necessary. Trauma is any experience or experiences that are emotionally overwhelming in which one has a real or perceived threat to their safety or life, and/or the safety and life of somebody else.
Eating Disorder TreatmentMany mental health professionals view eating disorders (including anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder, along with other dysfunctional eating patterns) as a food addiction – in that food is used in ways other than as fuel or a source of pleasure. Some, but not all, addiction treatment programs include eating disorder treatment as part of the service menu. Also, an eating disorder may be a dual-diagnosis or a co-occurring disorder with drug or alcohol addiction.
Individualized TreatmentAt Sabino Recovery treatment plans are developed around the very specific needs of each resident. There are no “treatment tracks,” which means each resident’s treatment plan is developed after the person arrives. In addition, progress is closely monitored and the multi-disciplinary team makes real-time adjustments based on the resident’s needs.
Sexual Abuse and TraumaThose who have survived sexual abuse often experience behavioral issues including PTSD, addiction, anxiety, depression, and relationship problems that can make life unmanageable. Our staff creates a safe, nurturing environment for residents gives survivors of sexual abuse and trauma the support necessary to heal. We prescribe highly personalized treatment plans with carefully selected integrative therapies such as acupuncture, equine therapy, art therapy, Somatic Experiencing and EMDR specific to the resident’s life circumstance. When coupled with individual and group counseling provided by our skilled therapists, the environment is provided to bring those who suffer to better health. We are expert at working with the guilt, shame and relationship troubles that often manifest as well as the core trauma that is causing the symptoms. Ours is an environment of kindness, empathy and trust which allows residents the safety and environment for the hard work of addressing the principal trauma.
Sleep DisordersSabino Recovery is one of the first inpatient residential treatment centers to include a state-of-the-art sleep lab. The sleep lab helps provide a complete picture of individuals’ needs that furthers the ability to provide truly customized treatment plan for each resident. The sleep clinic, which allows for sleep assessments and extensive lab testing to be performed on-site, is a key element of recovery from trauma, attachment failure, alcohol addiction, depression, anxiety, PTSD, drug addiction and other co-occurring disorders. With sleep issues being a common factor in addiction, PTSD, and many other conditions caused by trauma, Sabino Recovery’s focus on sleep integrates an important healing component and furthers our commitment to holistic care. While sleep has not traditionally been addressed during the clinical recovery process, Sabino Recovery views it as necessary to treating the whole person.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)It is often the case that the individuals suffering from PTSD have become accustomed to seeking “safety” in harmful ways such as drug and alcohol. In truth, this isn’t safety at all, but rather a means of attempting (and failing) to cope with the painful effects of trauma. Trauma can alter one’s psychological, biological, and social equilibrium, making recovery from addictions and other unhealthy behaviors difficult or impossible without also treating the root trauma. Sabino Recovery prioritizes the establishment of a physically, emotionally and spiritually safe environment for recovery. Our program incorporates “Seeking Safety,” which is based around the central idea that when a person has both substance abuse issues and trauma, the most urgent clinical need is to establish safety. We practice an evidence-based model that recognizes the connection between substance abuse and trauma, and was developed to meet the need for integrated treatment when these issues are co-occurring. Its goal is an empathetic approach that names the trauma experience, validates its connection to substance use, and offers safe coping skills to manage the often overwhelming emotions experienced with both.
AddictionAt Sabino Recovery, we recognize that an addiction to drugs can be complicated. Only by understanding the cause are we are able to effectively treat drug abuse and addiction. For some, the use of drugs is a way of medicating difficult emotions, experiences, and memories. Drug use quickly becomes a way to escape those difficult emotions the cause of which often lies in the pain of past trauma. For others, due to a genetic predisposition, what begins as a routine prescription or innocent experimentation quickly escalates to addiction and dependence. Stopping becomes impossible, and will-power powerless. The resulting damage to their lives, relationships, and careers leaves lasting scars. Regardless of the cause, the result is that many find themselves struggling not only with addiction but also with co-occurring disorders such as depression and anxiety. Drug addiction does not resolve itself. It will not just go away. Careful assessment and comprehensive treatment is required for the chance to live a healthy sober life. If left untreated drug addiction is progressive and fatal.
DepressionDepression is so prevalent among those seeking treatment at Sabino Recovery that we have “baked in” substantial assessments, therapies, and treatment modalities for the treatment of depression. Our residential depression center is situated on a breathtaking 100 acres of land in Tucson, AZ and provides a luxury environment. This relaxing, safe environment allows our residential depression clients the time, support and surroundings needed to truly heal while receiving the most advanced therapy available today. Nearly everything that is included in our program and your care plan works to heal this devastating and even life-threatening condition.
Dual DiagnosisFor those suffering from both mental health issues and addiction, known as “dual diagnosis,” it is critical to find a program that treats both issues. Addictive behaviors are often tightly intertwined and overlap with mental health symptoms. Many people develop their addictions as a coping mechanism to help them manage their mental health symptoms. For instance, those with anxiety will drink or get addicted to pills to help them cope with anxiety attacks or to allow them to control the anxiety that is keeping them from work or social situations. Eventually, they need more and more of the substance until it becomes and an additional source of suffering that can then trigger further complications such as depression. Yet many treatment centers, in reality, spend a disproportionate amount of time treating addiction while those suffering from trauma, depression, anxiety and other behavioral concerns are left mostly untreated. Sabino Recovery is one of the few residential treatment centers designed to treat mental health diagnoses – it’s not on the sideline here – it is central to everything we do. Our program is designed to address not only anxiety, depression, PTSD, and addictions, but also the core issues driving the behavior. We address the root causes early in treatment and support each resident with a dedicated and experienced staff who create physical and emotional safety through empathetic, compassionate, and consistent treatment. This, in combination with our carefully selected psychotherapeutic, psychiatric and integrative (mind/body) therapies provide the skills necessary to build a sober and healthy life.Your plan is developed around your very specific needs. There are no “treatment tracts,” which means your treatment plan is developed just for you after you arrive and will include the whole of your life not just your diagnosis and addiction. It will account for your past and present and the many overlapping and intertwining symptoms that you are experiencing.
Meet the Staff
- Dr. Dawn Bantel, NDMedical DirectorDr. Bantel serves as the Medical Director at Sabino Recovery, where she is focused on providing integrative medical care for mental health clients. She is a doctor of naturopathic medicine and is trained to focus on holistic, proactive prevention and comprehensive diagnosis and treatment. She received her doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine from the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon. She previously served as Medical Director at Mirasol, a residential eating disorder center for adults and teens. In addition to having operated her own naturopathic family practice, Dr. Bantel is also recognized as a distinguished national speaker on the subject of medical management of eating disorders. Her work at Sabino Recovery gives her the opportunity to assist people in developing their own empowerment and provide functional testing to remove obstacles to healing.
- Shara Turner, LPC MSC, NCC, EgalaClinical DirectorShara brings to Sabino Recovery a unique perspective and skillset; she has spent the last nine years in public health working with individuals dually diagnosed with a variety of substance use and mental health disorders, complex trauma, and extreme environmental and social inadequacies. The challenges faced in this arena have provided her with a strong base of practice in diagnosis, treatment, and case management. The breadth and depth of her experience extend to crisis counseling, to utilization management and coordinator of a level I psychiatric facility. Most recently Shara served as lead therapist and clinical supervisor of an 18-bed residential facility. At the helm, she developed and led an intensive outpatient equine program which proved to markedly decrease recidivism to level I hospitalizations over a six month period. In addition to attaining licensed professional counselor certification, she is certified by Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association (Egala) and versed in a variety of therapeutic modalities including DBT, CPT, and CBT. Shara‘s passion lies in stepping away from the stigma of diagnosis and treating the individual, utilizing an integrative and holistic approach.
- Robin Green, MSW, LCSW, CCTSIPrimary TherapistRobin comes to Sabino Recovery from CODAC Health, Recovery & Wellness in Tucson where she was a therapist at the Women’s Services site. She worked with women struggling with addiction, trauma, grief, and domestic abuse. Many of her clients had lost custody of their children and were working to get them back home. She also worked as a Patient Advocate at another residential center in Tucson. She received her degree from Arizona State University and is a Certified Clinical Trauma Specialist (CCTS-I). This certification focuses on skills to treat those suffering from PTSD and anxiety disorders. Robin approaches her work with a compassionate, calm and empowering approach, providing mindfulness, self-compassion, and self-care tools to residents.
- Marty Christensen, MA, MCAP, CAMSII, CSAT-CLead Primary TherapistMarty brings to Sabino Recovery a unique blend of gentleness, passion for recovery, life experience, recovery experience, education, and work-related experience. Marty earned a Master’s Degree in Counseling from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. Marty’s work experience includes The Veterans Administration (VA), Hazelden Betty Ford, Sierra Tucson, and The Hanley Center, as well as work in a correctional facility and outpatient settings. Marty sees his role as primary therapist as an honor to be of service to those who struggle, having experienced the loving gift of recovery from those who modeled the role of recovery and set the bar high for client care.
- Less than 60%