Ocean Recovery

1115 West Balboa Boulevard, Newport Beach, California, 92663
Ocean Recovery is not a traditional inpatient rehab. Instead, the facility offers an extended care program that’s focused on helping each individual prevent relapse and reshape his or her lifestyle to accommodate sobriety. Clients learn how to manage daily living within the safe structure of a treatment facility, and can practice these tools and techniques gradually and with sober support. A staff of highly-trained individuals stay up to date on the most effective addiction treatments and work with each client to create a unique treatment plan based on his or her specific needs.

• Individual Counseling
  • Eating Disorder Treatment
  • Group Therapy

• 12-Step

The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

• Oceanfront

• Kathy Tunney
    Kathy TunneyExecutive Director
    Kathy Tunney is the executive director of Ocean Recovery. After attending California State University Long Beach, she received her Master’s Degree in Counseling. Tunney has 25 years of experience in the field of addiction treatment.

BA
This place helped me so much and I am happy to say that it helped me attain over a year of sobriety so far and helped me obtain the tools to be on my own now that I have moved on and have a place of my own. MOST of the staff there are great, they are kind, caring, and want to see you grow. Unfortunately, towards the end of my staff at their Sober Living, one of the co-owners of the company began to bring in patients into the sober living house that were NOT there for substance abuse, rather they were getting treatment for severe behavior and mental disorders. Then 11 months into my stay, I was told that I was "so ready to move on and I needed to find a my own place to live as letting me stay any longer would be enabling me." This was told to me about an hour after my parents were charged $2,000 to prepay for the next month of rent (how convenient right?). In addition, during the last month of my stay I began to be told that I would now have to see additional therapists and pay for the therapy out of pocket at $100 per hour. When I expressed that the therapy had always been covered by insurance, I was told that I was ungrateful and I was kicked out after being at the facility for 11 months and 3 weeks. A couple months later, information came out that the before mentioned co-owner of Ocean Recovery. So in conclusion the facility is very nice, you get to do your own cooking and are given $80 in grocery gift cards as well as$75 in petty cash per week. Unfortunately, you never know the motives of the people running these places, and it sounds like some people on the financial side of things. It really is sad.
BB
I was 19 years old when I entered Ocean Recovery. I was mentally and physically a wreck, i was full of fear, and I couldn’t imagine my life without drugs and alcohol, but knew it couldn’t continue with them. The program was intense, it made me look at myself and my actions in uncomfortable ways, and was pushed to be independent and take responsibility for my actions. I am happy to say that 9 1/2 years later I am still sober and lead a life beyond what I could have imagined when this journey began. I would like to thank Oceans for giving me my life back, and the support to see me through nearly a decade of continuous sobriety. I can say without a doubt that deciding to go to Oceans was the best decision of my life.
KB
    I received treatment at Oceans around 2011/2012 straight out of hight school and newly 18 for an eating disorder. I first went to a 100% inpatient treatment center for 45 days that sugar coated everything and made my young and inpressionable self think this problem was due to outside causes instead of looking to myself. Knowing I wasn’t ready for college, I went to Oceans for outpatient treatment and it was the best decision of my life thus far. I am now almost 26, graduated with a bachelors and masters, in a successful career with a normal relationship with food...the “normal” life I always envisioned and never thought was possible. Yes the treatment at Oceans is tough, but if you really want to work on yourself, it will be tonight no matter where you go. I was “prohibited” from calling my parents for some time while I was there to teach me how to be my own individual and put the focus on what they were teaching me, not on how others thought I should recover. After 60 days in house (their form of inpatient in a way), I went to their sober living for almost a year where they required me to get my first job. I went to a lot of the group sessions while I’m sober living and had weekly phone calls with my parents because that was their personalized treatment plan for me, and I wouldn’t change a thing. Their methods work if you are willing to work them. Recovery isn’t easy and that’s what they provide here...if you’re serious about getting better, this is the place!
    It was very good and they were tough on patients - a good thing! Strengths:Their "toughness". Weakness:At times, they were not helpful to family members.
    Aliyah
    My cousin went there with an alcohol problem and returned with issues around food. The owner in group who said vulgar things to her about her family that she literally ran away. Do not send your loved ones here. d I'm appalled at their behaviour. I would take legal action but I don't have tangible evidence....just a therapist saying my lived suffered trauma.