NYC Health + Hospitals/ Bellevue Behavioral Health

462 First Avenue, New York, New York, 10016

Focus on issue and keep pushing you. Noises and not so clean. Handled what needed to be dealt with, but don't expect it to be lavish it's as basic as can be.
I was at first nervous to enter just because of the stigma associated with this type of facility but there was plenty of staff around and security guards. It was very clean and I saw 2 different people who I later found out were clinicians walking around and interacting with the families, friends and patients. They were making sure the visits were going well. We got to ask questions in an easy setting and if we asked something pertaining to my nephews particular treatment we were nicely told that those personal questions are answered during the friends and family meetings with the patients permission. The facility was a bit on the small side as far as where everyone visited but there were a lot of visitors so when we all weren't there I feel that "day room" would be more than enough room for the patients to interact. I really liked the staff they were friendly and knew all the patients by name and respectfully called them Mr. whatever their last name was. My nephew who is usually a very nervous young man seemed calm and relaxed and open to having us visit which surprised me because we thought he would be jumpy and not wanting anyone to see him there but he said its all part of getting better so we know they encourage these visits for their own well being as well as ours.
has some good groups if you are artistic. people that get high will do fine there people that get high to escape might not
I was amazed to see so many creative offers. Kareoke art therapy, dance instructors, drama group (s). Yoga, breathing exercises. CBT. Anger Mngt. Peer Counselor facilitated groups. However you'r locked in curfew. Lights out too early and too loud. Attendents have little understanding of how to treat patients when they are in relapse. Bellvue has the best mental health in patient facility in the state. I have seen patients recover near fully once they understand it's their meds that are making them feel better. And the groups are amazing. Patients that would'nt talk for 2 weeks would get up and sing at kareoke.
They use right medicine to detox from heroin. They don't keep you in hospital long enough. They detox you off heroin with methadone which is a good thing but problem is they only keep you for 3 to 5 days so when you leave your still sick