Avery Road Treatment Center

14703 Avery Road, Rockville, Maryland, 20850

Lisa
When I called to see if there was a bed open so that I could drop my son off --they said they needed to speak with him. I said he was pretty out of it and I simply wanted to know if they had an open bed, so that I could give him an ultimatum --treatment or homelessness. They refused to tell me and told me to just kick him out. It was below zero outside. Needless to say, I did not want my son to die of hypothermia so I did not. I called another facility in MD --most are quite happy to tell you whether they have a bed or not. Although my son was still in high school, and there is a program specifically for kids still in school in Maryland, my son\'s counselor convinced my son to go to a local halfway house --as it turned out, the house provided none of the recovery services that were in his assessment --job counseling, educational support, family counseling --they did not even provide him with a Suboxone doctor. I had to call Avery Road and threaten them so they would provide him an interim Suboxone prescription... I had to take off work and run around and find a Suboxone doctor --since my son didn\'t drive, nor have access to a phone. This egregious lack of discharge planning bordered on incompetence. Many of the residents left the halfway house when the house began admitting people off the streets of Baltimore --still withdrawing, and began filling up the hallways because there were not enough beds. My son was intimidated living with these very \"rough\" older homeless men who boasted of violent acts and their past prison sentences, and so he left too. Needless to say, without the mental health support that my son needed --that he would have received in the program designed just for young people his age --he dropped out of school when he felt he was too far behind to catch up. Thanks a lot Avery Road. My son went back after a relapse. Even though my son was eventually referred to the long term Combined Care program --after three months they still had not provided ANY vocational support, housing support, family counseling, or any of the other recovery services that are evidenced based best practices. In fact, the only place where the discharge coordinator could line up for him was the local homeless shelter --even with two co-occurring programs with housing, educational and job support for this young population right in the county --Avery Road could not seem to set up a discharge into any one of these evidence-based program that matched his assessment. Go anywhere else in the entire state and then compare to Avery Road. In comparison to other programs in Maryland --there ratings would be the lowest.
Katrina
A big fat A, for ABSOLUTELY the best treatment facility
Marta
They helped us individual. It helped me, gave me a 2nd Chance in life
Victoria
Staff was good. Leisure activities need to improve. It saved my life
Donna
The counselors are probably 95% in recovery themselves and are knowledgeable and helpful. Also, it is very affordable!!! The building is in need of a major "facelift." They do the best they can to keep it clean but it still needs repairs and new furniture, beds, etc. Avery Road Treatment Center and its counselors saved my life - no exaggeration. I would probably be dead if it weren't for their compassion, encouragement and even their "tough love approach." I'm grateful to her probably more than anyone and she's just a tech!!